The Wreck's score - 68 noise to 9 signal.

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

Let me know how you propose to prevent these OT posts (of which this is one <g> )
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

I'm a Canadian as well. I find that I get a more complete picture of some of the Wreck's members when they volunteer their views on a variety of topics. Sometimes a simple statement by somebody leads me to follow up on my own, and I have discovered some really cool stuff that way. (Thanks for the lead on the topic of tea, Ed.)

[snipped for brevity]

It makes this Wreck what it is. Diverse. I couldn't handle only reading about water stones vs oil stones. I also like to hear about kidney stones and Rolling Stones.
[snip]

My problem, Ken, is that most of my friends and relatives are Americans. I live, literally, 5 minutes from an American White Castle. American politics have always intrigued me. I'm therefore informed on the current state of the union.... and I don't get my news from a painfully biased outlet like Fox. I will stay up on election night if it is a US election. I cannot stay up and watch a canadian ballot count...it puts me to sleep.

Ken, when somebody like Tom Watson opens his well-worn Thesaurus up for us, I read what he has to say. I had NO idea he was a liberal. ( I think I'll give him a nick-name: Thesaurus Rex) It surprised me. He likes the same music as Swingman... another thing that caught me by surprise. The list of surprises is endless. But I like to think that I have a pretty good idea who's what around here. Other than that, I couldn't give a rat's ass about what anybody thinks about me or anybody else.... well... other than Larry Jaques. What Larry thinks of me is important..in a sick sort of way. <G>

Simple solution. Do not read what you do not want to read.

Sounds like it is actually getting better. You should have checked it out a few years ago.

I have a problem with auto stuff and home repair. Nothing in life is perfect.

If you have not seen Canadians post about Canadian politics you have not been around long enough. So you speek for all Canadians regarding politics on this news group? I certainly do not think so.

Perhaps you should go to a nother news group if you do not like it here. Put up or shut up.

Actually Tom Watson has been as likely to initiate politics or tell a cutsey story as talk wood working.
I really don't care

We agree on this point.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:42:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

So, let's see. You whine about the signal to noise ratio while not only increasing it further (or reducing it, depending on how you define it), but you neglect to label it as Off Topic in order that those of us smart enough to ignore those things that annoy us could ignore it.
What a tool (obligatory on-topic reference). I'm now ignoring you.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Is you post part of the 89% of the 11%. Please clarify.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

Aussie Politics, John Howard s Father was a master carpenter.
with one screw he built a 5'10" shit house. :)
regards John

I also get frustrated with the number of posts off topic. Can you kill topics/posters or leave the group? Sure, but I decided to check out what the rec.woodworking FAQ said is the purpose of the group. Below is what I found. It seems reasonable to try to remind people (using self policing) to try to remain on the topic of woodworking 90% of the time. "This group is a collection of people with a common interest in woodworking (ww'ing), and as such the topics discussed sometimes wander away from strictly ww'ing. Think of this NG as if you were having a number of friends over to your shop to discuss ww'ing, 90% of the discussion will revolve around ww'ing, but you will also discuss other things going on in your life, like your shop dog dying, gloating about the vintage minty fresh Unisaur you just got for $100, just got a new job, etc. That is what we do in this NG.
Please DO NOT post off topic. If you *MUST* make an off topic post, please preface the subject with "[OT]", so those who are not interested in OT posts can skip them."
The above was pulled from searching rec.woodworking with Google. There is also a FAQ at http://www.robson.org/woodfaq /. I tried to see if the theme of the FAQ included non-woodworking topics -- it was all woodworking.
-- Mark
On 10/7/2005 1:42 PM snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx mumbled something about the following:

So you start another Off Topic thread. You just increased the noise to signal ratio.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote: