Increasing Signal to Noise Ratio -Loose Tenon Jig

In another attempt to increase the signal part of the group's signal to noise ratio, I submit the following url to Loose Tenon mortising jig inspired by the one in the April issue of Popular Woodworking. (all one line so watch the line wrap)

's three pages worth of stuff - a parts diagram, parts list with dimensions and even a parts layout diagram and some tips to boot. Photos of the various modes of the one I did are also included for folks who like to look at pictures. I put these pages together mainly for Dave, who was having grief with M&T joints on the screen door he's making but others may find the information sufficient to make their own and discover the joys of Loose Tenon M&T joints.

Now if Dave Fleming, Doug Stowe, Michael Dresdner, Mr. Lucas and some of the other "former" semi-regulars would just come back some of the newbies might realize how much this group has deteriorated over the last 6 months.

Tom - thanks for hangin' in there (and some great tales!)

charlie b

(and Dave - lost your number and your spam mail address ... I'm in the book - belden on herring - have some chisels for you to try - still : ) )

Reply to
charlie b

charlie - I've still got your phone number. I don't think I've got the emails anymore. I'll call you. sorry for reducing the signal to noise ratio. sometimes I have to counter "bad" posts from the likes of TW with "bad" posts of my own... Had TW not mentioned me about 5 times in his rant, I wouldn't have said diddly squat to him tonight...sigh...

dave

charlie b wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Nice jig Charlie. I did a similar one that was in Shopnotes Volume 11, Issue

64
are your thoughts on rigging it to do the tenons? Now I'm resawing stock to the mortise thickness and rounding over the edges, then cutting to length. Thanks for the informative post. ken
Reply to
Ken M.

Uses guide collars rather then an edge guide Horizontal module has one of the two mitered corner modes on the other end - fewer parts to lose! Good idea.

Is there a module to do mitered corners for a wrap around grain mitered corners box?

Is there a module to do end grain? The slot that acts as the quide looks like it would require changing guide collars for differenct router bit diameters? Or are there different top plates with difrent sized slots for different bit sizes?

That'd require another top plate with an added set of adjustable stops - fore & aft, a different sized slot ....... And the alignment of the part to be tenoned on two center lines would be tricky, even with cross hairs because of parallex. Could be done but the jig would be more complex to make - and to use. Besides, loose tenons eliminate the need for cutting the tenons, simplifying making M&T joints.

But with a precision edge guide on the router to control front to back positioning I can dial in where I want the bit to be, rather than relying on a slot and a guide collar. (Am going to have to think about your idea though - FMT, $700? Hmmmm)

Why not use ply for the loose tenons? And the ends don't have to be half rounds - knock off the corners with a block plane.

No problem and thanks for sharing the jig you did. Always more than one way to skin a cat - FIGURATIVELY!

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b