The Wreck's score - 68 noise to 9 signal.

I'm a lurker -- a Canadian somewhat interested in woodworking. Been following the wreck for a year or so --- started out getting some useful information ... but I'm getting tired watching all the political ideologues take over the wreck for the past few months.

Out of curiousity this morning, I hit "get unread messages" ... in the past half dozen hours, there were 77 posts, 9 of which were even remotely related to woodworking.

That's an eleven percent signal to noise ratio.

I don't have a big problem with off topic posts --- humour, home repair questions, auto stuff, things like that. But I do have a problem with the overhwhelming number of posts with U.S. political and religious orientation.

This is an international forum. I don't see Canadians posting about Canadian politics, Aussies posting about Aussie politics or Brits posting about British poliltics. Many of us may have strong feelings about our native political scenes .. but we do not think they should be aired in a group dedicated to woodworking.

Perhaps you Americans could give the rest of us a break. If you want to argue politics, do it somewhere more appropriate.

I'm interested in what Tom Watson, for example, thin ks about woodworking; he has demonstratable expertise. I really don't care what he thinks about politics or the state of the universe -- as far as I can see, he has no credentials that would suggest any particular insight..

And the same goes for all the others.

Go start an American political debate newsgroup.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Yes! I agree with you 100%, and think something should be done. Any ideas?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote: [snip]

No, but there are a few Canadians that post about American politics here...

As noted, it's not just the Americans at fault.

And, for what it's worth, _your_own_ post increases the ratio of noise to signal.

Bottom line: nobody's forcing you to read anything. Forte Agent has excellent killfile and filtering capabilities, I'm told. Perhaps you should learn to use them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sorry about that, but this is, in fact, a rather serious debate going on in the US. The religious right keeps trying to insert some form of creationism into school - the camel's nose in the doorway. I thought these threads had about died out a few days ago, but they have come roaring back. Don't read them. Kill the thread. This too shall pass.

By the way, I am working on a rocking horse. Little parts with curves everywhere - the guy who developed the plans must sell sandpaper. So I need to get away from it, now and again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Dream on Ken. The kooks have pretty much taken over, the self appointed experts on political, religious, domestic and world affairs, along with several people who are very successful as failed comedians. Most of the real woodworking types have long since bailed out.

Reply to
John

Yeah, let's split the group.....

;-)

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Let me know how you propose to prevent these OT posts (of which this is one )

Dave

Reply to
David

That is why there are plenty of newsgroups where the discussion would be on-topic.

It is not just the schools where the camel's noes is being thrust, it is this ng too.

Reply to
fredfighter

Nahhh.. how about a moderator?

*ducking*
Reply to
Robatoy

I think the camel is all the way in in this NG

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I'm a Canadian as well. I find that I get a more complete picture of some of the Wreck's members when they volunteer their views on a variety of topics. Sometimes a simple statement by somebody leads me to follow up on my own, and I have discovered some really cool stuff that way. (Thanks for the lead on the topic of tea, Ed.)

[snipped for brevity]

It makes this Wreck what it is. Diverse. I couldn't handle only reading about water stones vs oil stones. I also like to hear about kidney stones and Rolling Stones.

[snip]

My problem, Ken, is that most of my friends and relatives are Americans. I live, literally, 5 minutes from an American White Castle. American politics have always intrigued me. I'm therefore informed on the current state of the union.... and I don't get my news from a painfully biased outlet like Fox. I will stay up on election night if it is a US election. I cannot stay up and watch a canadian ballot count...it puts me to sleep.

Ken, when somebody like Tom Watson opens his well-worn Thesaurus up for us, I read what he has to say. I had NO idea he was a liberal. ( I think I'll give him a nick-name: Thesaurus Rex) It surprised me. He likes the same music as Swingman... another thing that caught me by surprise. The list of surprises is endless. But I like to think that I have a pretty good idea who's what around here. Other than that, I couldn't give a rat's ass about what anybody thinks about me or anybody else.... well... other than Larry Jaques. What Larry thinks of me is important..in a sick sort of way.

Reply to
Robatoy

So...by that logic, if I were to buy the house next door to you and blast obnoxious music all day, you wouldn't bitch, right? After all, you wouldn't be forced to listen - you could put in ear plugs, or go somewhere for a while.

The attitude you're expressing enables poor behavior.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

That's a downright unfair thing to say. When people have an opinion, that doesn't make them 'self appointed experts' any more than you pecking away at your WebTV make you a computer expert.

There are plenty of real woodworking types that make regular appearances here.

You mean the ones who saw things your way?

Reply to
Robatoy

Um, no. It's more like: You're walking down the street, and see a bar with lots of motorcycles, and people with leather jackets walking in and out.l You choose to go in. Once you're in, you announce to the crowd that you just can't stand bikers.

Complaining about something that's clearly marked, easily avoided, and that you yourself choose to read, is also poor behavior. Me, I don't see any value in widely crossposted threads, so I configured my newsreader to silently ignore them for me. I also don't see any value coming from certain posters, so I likewise configured my newsreader to silently ignore them for me. It's really not complicated, and helps to improve what I see as the signal:noise ratio. Someone's off-topic message? Maybe noise. Someone bitching about reading something off-topic, when they could easily avoid doing so in any one of many methods? Definately noise.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Simple solution. Do not read what you do not want to read.

Sounds like it is actually getting better. You should have checked it out a few years ago.

I have a problem with auto stuff and home repair. Nothing in life is perfect.

If you have not seen Canadians post about Canadian politics you have not been around long enough. So you speek for all Canadians regarding politics on this news group? I certainly do not think so.

Perhaps you should go to a nother news group if you do not like it here. Put up or shut up.

Actually Tom Watson has been as likely to initiate politics or tell a cutsey story as talk wood working.

I really don't care

We agree on this point.

Reply to
Leon

Piss poor example. You compare behavior that is socially unacceptable and most likely against the law to something that is easily filtered.

Reply to
Leon

heh...

since you give no indication who or what you are replying to, it's wide open....

so, what should be done that you have agreed 100% to...

revocation of independence?

bridger

Nah. Combine the two ideas. Two groups. Two moderators. Maybe ol' Whatsisname and his girlfriend are available. The could take BOTH groups and shift everyone back onto the page of woodworking righteousness.

Reply to
Charlie Self

So, let's see. You whine about the signal to noise ratio while not only increasing it further (or reducing it, depending on how you define it), but you neglect to label it as Off Topic in order that those of us smart enough to ignore those things that annoy us could ignore it.

What a tool (obligatory on-topic reference). I'm now ignoring you.

Reply to
LRod

Totally different circumstance, and I think you know that. People choose what they do, or do not, read. It is impossible to avoid hearing sounds that are above the threshold of audibility.

Oh, come off it. The OP is complaining because he read something he didn't like. Simple solution: don't read it.

Reply to
Doug Miller