The REAL Reasons We're Getting Kicked

Page 1 of 4
We've had so much, for so long, for so little, than we've come to expect anything and everything for nothing.

I don't have a problem paying more for American made woodworking machinery.
Most of the stuff I would buy isn't made in the USA anymore, or is priced at 5 to 10 times what an import costs.
A Delta or Jet/Powermatic 15" planer is made in Taiwan or China. Powermatic still makes big planers in the USA, but they are big time expensive if you want one with a single phase motor. Lots of big Powermatic stuff shows up on Ebay, but single phase is very rare.
Brian Elfert
I absolutely totally agree. I recall when our fathers and their fathers knew how to make a living and while I am sure that they did complain about the state of the economy and those in government, they did know how to pour piss out of a boot. It used to be that most any man could cut his own yard, change his own flat, change his own oil, repair his house, etc. I see the biggest problem today is that many with college educations feel that it is their given right to have a high paying job and feel that they should be able to sit around, moan, and groan because they have cannot find an equal paying job in their particular field. I say get over it. Learn a different trade and expect the pay that the job is worth.

Seems like no one wants to pay their dues anymore. It's called instant gratification. I'm going to laugh my butt off when these people really need to hustle for a living to keep their aluminum suburbia facades and monster SUV's going. It's going to get real interesting. Invest now in your skills and abilities, learn how to think and do it yourself, the rest comes easy later.

Bigmike notes:

I think the facades are now vinyl.
The SUVs and all large status symbol vehicles may become problems sooner. Word is we'll hit 2 bucks a gallon, without tax increases, on gas this summer and 3 bucks by next summer. You know that whoever's in office wherever is going to try to slow the jump in prices by adding some more excise taxes to put us closer to the European model.
That 8 mpg rig looks just fine at a buck and a quarter a gallon, but is really going to be a status symbol when gas is 3 bucks and higher. Only the truly wealthy (Cheney & Scalia?) will be able to afford to run them.
Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, a large part of our economy revolves around the automobile.
No politician is going to purposely increase the price of gasoline if he/she can help it. Our economy will tank if automobile sales tumble due to high gas prices.
I do what I can to save on oil. Both of my vehicles burn diesel and one gets over 40 MPG!
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert writes:

Yeah. My pick-up gets about 26 mpg (little 4 cylinder, but I can't seem to find all these 32 mpg pick-ups I read about), my car gets about 32 on the road, and I don't think we drive 15,000 miles a year in both. Less than that if we didn't go home every once in a bit, but we do.
Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

Unfortunately, my 1987 F-150 gets 12.5 mpg on the turnpike (that I ride on every day going to work).
I wish this was not true, but it is.
I'm driving 30 miles each way. That's 15.000 miles a year.
Just for work.
Oy !
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

I've got two Chevy's that get about 9 or 10 and both are paid for. Economics say I can't buy something that does what these do and recoup the difference in gas savings though at $3/ gallon it might.
When are they coming out with a hybrid truck?
Gary

Supposed to be a slew of hybrid SUVs and trucks comming in 2005 or 2006. Some may even have a diesel engine coupled with the electric instead of a gas engine to save even more fuel.
Brian Elfert
forth from the murky depths:

I just wish Ford made the good old Unimog. I'd love one.
========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================
Brian Elfert wrote:

I've been waiting for the Ford Escape hybrid suv. It was supposed to come out this year but I believe they backed it into 2005. But I still need a pickup for hauling. I haven't seen any of the auto manufacturers talking about making hybrid pickups. Gary

The truly sickening part is that the gasoline is the cheap part of that expense. The round trip considering the initial cost of the vehicle, maintenance, insurance, and gas probably costs you about $21.00 a day.
brought forth from the murky depths:

What did you find out about costs to put a newer FI V-8 and 4OD tranny in there, Tawm? Like I said, my 1990 F-150 w/ 302 + 4OD is now getting about 18mpg on the open road betwixt NorCal and SoOr via Mt. Shasta.

Vay!
========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================

If it's anything like my '89 F150, the rest of the vehicle isn't worth investing that much time & money in. Tom's probably doesn't suffer quite as much NaCl cancer as mine does, and PA has this law about any hole bigger than a dime must be repaired to pass inspection. It's old enough to be almost unsaleable, as Charlie said.
BTW, Tom, what is in your F150? my FI 4.9L(straight 6, far as I'm concerned, one of the best dam engines Ford ever made) + C6 used to get about 14.2 on the road.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

Bwahahahahahahaha! Nahmie, I'm surprised at you. You've obviously never driven in PA. I was there once and it was so much worse than (even) CA that I couldn't believe it. My buddy explained that all those toll booths went straight into the Graft Division of PA State. I didn't argue. (or were you being facetious?)

Add up the price of a new vehicle, tag on insurance for same, and you've got a $25k hole in your pocket. As do I, he loves his old Ford pickup. And upgrading should cost $3k or less. That's a no-brainer if the thing is in any kind of shape. AND he retains the lowest insurance rate available. Win/Win.

Yeah, the old 300cid straight sixes were great for farm and country use, but not as good on the freeways. Amazingly, in a full-sized pickup, the V-8s get better gas mileage, especially when loaded. I'll forever be in love with the little 5L Ford 302. They're one sweet little engine.
========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================
brought forth from the murky depths:

as
"C-less", I live less than 10mi from PA/NY border, and have travelled a *lot* of miles in PA, especially when I was OTR. I think perhaps I wasn't specific enough about the "hole bigger than a dime". That's rust holes in vehicle bodies that must be fixed to pass inspection.

concerned,
on
Granted! The 300 is a bear, but not really happy on the highway. It's a true low end torquer. Makes a fantastic short track engine, they claim they can pull well over 400 ponies out set up for racing, and you don't have to(and don't want to) rev it high. I've pulled stuff with mine that amazed me. Right now it's got close to 200K, I need to drop the pan & put new bearings in the bottom, as it tends to lose oil pressure @ idle after it gets the oil warmed up. Other than that, still runs fantastic, and I think for pure pull it could outdo my wife's '98 F150 4.6L Triton.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:45:15 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Ah, gotcha. But I understand that the vehicle inspection system there is not quite immune to graft, either. One can either pay the mechanics or the inspectors to keep their cars on the roads.

I'm sure that tor torquiest old motor I've ever had was that AMC 390. My '70 Phil Donohue Special Javelin put out 375hp and 420 ft lbs of torque before I rebuilt it with a mildly spicier cam. It probably hit 425hp and more torque after that. What a fun car to drive THAT was!

Probably, but "they say" that you can run the Tritons without water through the desert all the way to Vegas without hurting it.
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
brought forth from the murky depths:

Ayup!
Anything that size in a car that size could be fun! I think the *hairiest* I ever had was my '64 Ford Sprint convertible with 260 2bbl. and old T10 4 spd. Unless the rear tires were in pretty good shape, you could snap the rear end loose on damp pavement @ 35 in 4th just by tapping the throttle a little too hard.

Well, all I've got to say is that "they say" ranks right up there with "opinions" and "free advice"(You know, everybody has one, and it's worth what you pay for it).
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:00:57 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
[my Javelin]

I had a Borg T10 in the Jav, too. Great and bulletproof tranny. the rear end sounds like Mom's 64-1/2 Mustang dad and I restored. It was a fun car in a 4-wheel drift only when you put it there. 'Twer a goosey little cah, but with the top down, girls JUMPED in.

This was straight out of Ford's brochure; the "tout the Triton" page.