The latest bed project

Page 1 of 2
I am working on the latest king sized be with 18 drawers. I am using walnut and white oak.
I had to buy wood today and there was no wood in the bins in the size that I was looking for. So they brought a fresh pallet of new stock for me to pick through.
I got some good looking pieces with out sorting much at all....
And thin I ran across this piece. You know, one of those pieces that is so unusual that you have to buy it as an extra. BUT I need 88 decorative pieces for this project that will be 3/16" thick by approximately 2"x5". I can resaw this and use it for that..
This 1x8 s4s board looks this way the entire 108" length.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/30235318171/in/dateposted-public/
I might use it for the small quarter ovals on the tops and bottoms of the columns of the head and foot boards.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29952666765/in/dateposted-public/
Leon wrote:

That is some pretty wood. I was looking for some oak at Lowe's one day and found a board of curly oak. I bought this as an extra. Hated to even saw it up.
Did you install that switch box, or was that Nailshooter's work? I guess if you have only got a hammer you use what you have.
--
GW Ross

Misfortune: The kind of fortune that
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 11:16:23 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

I think Karl, Robert and Leon triple-team those projects, that way.
Sonny
On 10/14/2016 11:27 AM, Sonny wrote:

Leon sent the photo to me a couple of days ago. From what I understand, that is new construction in his neighborhood, or one close by.
It's what some folks pay for when they buy a tract home built in the last 20 to 30 years.
I've actually uncovered much worse when remodeling some of them. Sad to say that shoddiness is but a small reflection of what this country has become.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 1:28:17 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:

One of my favorites was what I saw in the garage of a tract house about 20 years ago. On one wall they nailed the 4x8 sheathing to the studs correctly at the edges (that would be hard not to do!) but missed the studs in between.
I don't mean that they forgot to use nails in the field, I mean they *missed* the studs by a consistent 1/2" on three sheets. Inside the garage you could see the nails coming through the sheathing, all neatly lined up, running down next to each stud. Of course, the siding crew had no clue, so they simply sided the house.
I don't remember how they fixed it, but I know the owner saw it after the siding was already on and reported it to the builder. His main concern was related to all the stuff that he couldn't see. Imagine living like that? Not knowing what else they screwed up and then covered up, never to be seen again?
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 12:16:23 PM UTC-4, G. Ross wrote:

That's one of those new-fangled ventilated switch boxes, currently code in areas where high temperatures are expected.
On 10/14/2016 12:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ohhhhh... ;~) Obviously the electrician was pissed that he was asked to come back out to add the box or he forgot to put it in, in the first place. That box should have been there before the panel went up.
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 2:08:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

All kidding aside, I don't quite understand what I am seeing. What am I seeing in the background? The lighting makes it look like I am looking from the interior to the exterior but that can't be. Is the structure just not closed in yet?
On 10/14/2016 1:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes sorry, new construction and only the shell is in place. IIRC this was a switch in the dining room and the front porch was on the other side of this wall.
On 10/14/2016 11:16 AM, G. Ross wrote:

LOL, I did not install the nail box. I saw that in a home that is probably going to sell for $500,000K+, 4 car garage. Taylor Morrison home.
On 10/14/16 1:05 PM, Leon wrote:

I might use it for the small quarter ovals on the tops and bottoms of

That is some pretty wood. I was looking for some oak at Lowe's one day

Firstly, looks like you're developing quite a niche market for some of your creations. Congrats!
Secondly, I posted a picture on facebook of an HVAC vent that had been sheetrocked over. I was trying to find the source of moisture that was causing mold in a small room in our new place. I punched out the most heavily molded section of drywall to reveal the working vent in the wall. Yep, that'll cause some moisture, you betcha! :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 10/14/2016 2:43 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Thank you

Good catch!
On 10/14/2016 11:04 AM, Leon wrote:

I finally got a good shot with decent lighting. This is about 15" of the 108", it all looks pretty much like this.
I converted to B&W and added some contrast.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/30325217115/in/dateposted-public/
Leon wrote:

That B&W looks suitable for framing.
--
GW Ross

Misfortune: The kind of fortune that
On 10/14/2016 4:28 PM, G. Ross wrote:

LOL Yes.... and I think I will end up using a wash coat to highlight the grain on the actual wood.
On 10/14/16 2:41 PM, Leon wrote:

Last time I saw grain like that the tree-of-origin was one of those 'freaks' that had 10,000 little branches emerging from the trunk. There were no major limbs to speak of.
-BR
On 10/15/2016 9:06 AM, Brewster wrote:

Swwingman has a tree in his neighborhood, well over 100 years old I would say, that is nothing but burl for the first 8~10' of the trunk, IIRC. then it is a normal tree.
I would think that this board would have a premium price if it were being sold as one with special grain. I lucked out.
On 10/15/16 10:31 AM, Leon wrote:

My 'local' wood dealer (nearest 100 miles) has a policy that when picking through the stack, you can only go down three levels. This seems wise enough, otherwise they would end up with a stack-o-crap after everyone picked the primo stuff out. Anyhoo, this has worked well for me on occasion as I have found some excellent curly wood and QS oak, all for the standard flat-sawn prices. I even have a few pieces like your plank, although not nearly as wild. I'd be interested in how good/badly it reacts to being sawn.
-BR
On 10/16/2016 9:39 AM, Brewster wrote:

I have to day that my supplier has pretty good stock. All of their 1x8 s4s was gone from the bins. They let me do what I want, I always neatly or more neatly stack the wood back in the bins. I look more for color and grain consistency. On occasion I run across a board that too much bow or twist. The new stack that I looked through was fun to choose from. Very few boards had any bow, 108". I bought 11 boards and only had to restack 4~5 boards. The attendant told me that I did not have to restack but my wife immediately informed him that I do not leave something that needs to be straightened whether it is in the bin or waiting to be put in the bin.
I have just about decided to square the ends of that unusual piece, do a trace coat, varnish and hang it on the wall.
I have never done this but this guy seems to know what he is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTSIiUiEOI

Leon, I had an unusual piece of popular, sort of like yours, I made a 6ft yard stick, about 6" short on the bottom first foot, to hang on the wall for my daughter to keep the history of her kids growing up. A real story pole. :)