Latest Rushed Project

For a while I had been doing some decluttering of old shop and other areas. I posted for free, on Craigslist, 2 old Singer sewing machines, w/ 1 cabinet and iron base and a young girl, Ashleigh, replied. After a few emails, I realized something wasn't right.... and not that Ashleigh was one of those Craigslist wackos.

I discovered her home and all furnishings were recently destroyed in the recent storms. She and fiancé found a temp home, but have no furniture. I mentioned and offered 4 simple dining chairs (from storage), but I had no table. She said her fiancé could try to build a table. I asked if they had the lumber, tools and skills to build a table. No lumber, but had some tools and skills. They were to come the next day (this past Wednesday) to get the sewing machines.

I reupholstered the dining chair seats and started on a cherry dining table. They helped with completing the table when they came. The skirt was cherry and the legs were old cypress. It turned out pretty good for a rush job and Ashleigh was delighted to get it. I only took 1 pic of the table top, with 1 coat of finish, measures 48" X 31".

I also gave them a '50s vintage French buffet. Hopefully they will recover from their losses, soon.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

God bless you!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

+1
Reply to
Bill

Nice that you could do that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're doing some great work.

Reply to
meff

You're one of the good guys. Well done.

Reply to
Michael

Very nice! I work at an antique mall in my small town, and sometimes local folks will come in, and you can tell that they don't have anything, including money, but are in need of furniture. Sometimes we have cheap older pieces in the basement, that I've basically given away before.

If she were local to Ohio, I have some more decent chairs, end tables, a bed frame, dresser, etc. etc. that are all too new to sell at the antique mall, which I would just give away. I collect some of this furniture making rounds looking for antique and vintage stuff to refurbish and sell.

Reply to
Michael Trew

So give it away anyway. It doesn't have to go to Sonny's new friend. I'm sure that there are people in need right near you.

I built the bunk bed below for my daughters when they quite young. It was in storage for a while so I put it on Craigslist. The very next day my wife asked me "Where is the girls' old bunk bed?" Turns out a co-worker had a family member going through some hard times and needed beds for her kids.

We originally used it in a small room with a sloped ceiling, thus the lower than standard bunk bed height. I made new ends for the lower bunk after talking to the soon-to-be owners - the kids. All it cost the mom was some burgers and macaroni salad, payable upon delivery. ;-)

DerbyDad03