The gloat that got away

Someone in Tallahassee is gloating their socks off this morning. Around 10am yesterday someone posted one of these:
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Ingersoll-Rand-2475N5/p706.html
On craigslist for free. Just pick it up and take it away and it's yours. About 3.5 years old, worked mostly nonstop for most of that time, as it was running a bunch of steam presses for a dry cleaners.
I went by to gawk at it, but I didn't have any way to move it, and even if I had, I would have had to put some money into it because the motor was 3 phase. Not to mention what SWMBO would say when she came home to that beast squatting in the carport.
So I let it pass me by, though I'm still kind of kicking myself, because for less than a $50 truck rental, I could have had an air compressor that would do anything I could need it to do, and would probably outlast me by a fair margin.
Anyone else have any stories about the one that got away?
N Hurst wrote:

Damn! I'd love to replace my 60-gallon single-stage compressor with a two-stage. Even if it did have a three-phase motor, "free" is a pretty decent price, and I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a single-phase replacement motor so I could actually *use* the thing.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

For that $50 rental, you could have brought it home, sold it on Craigslist for a couple or few hundred in a couple of days, then taken the wifey out to dinner for being so understanding. That way next time you bring something home and she starts asking questions, just tell her that you're hoping to take her out to dinner again.
"N Hurst" wrote:

SFWIW, the link is to a single phase unit.
Lew

Heh.
That was the result of 2.5 seconds of Googling and snatching the link with the picture that looked like the one up for offer.
They didn't post any photos or anything, just an address and some phone numbers.
-Nathan
"nhurst" wrote:
Heh.
That was the result of 2.5 seconds of Googling and snatching the link with the picture that looked like the one up for offer.
As the saying goes, "haste makes waste".<grin>
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Bored, Lew? :-)
--

-MIKE-

My scrap bin is proof of that!
I'm working on a new "spreading around" program, just like the US Government. See? Now my haste makes it YOUR waste! :-)
I should run for public office.
-Nathan
"nhurst" wrote:

If you can't baffle them with brilliance,
Dazzle them with bull shit.
Lew