Tea\coffee staining, question.

Hi all! I wanted to try staining a project with tea, coffee or maybe kool-aid( No, I'm not kidding:)) I don't want to use water as the thinner, as that will raise the grain, so i was wondering if mixing them with mineral spirits or laquer thinner or naptha, etc. will cause an adverse reaction. I can experiment with different thinners but I'd like to NOT blow anything up (like me). Thanks for your help.
-- Have A Great Day! CHARLIE NEWTON

not dissolve 'em.
Will still raise the grain a tad, though.

If you want to use kool-aid, the other stuff in the mixture like artificial flavor will do nothing for your stain. Why not just go to an art store and get the raw pigment or an oil paint and then thin it with a little terpintine or linseed oil to the color and density you want.
--

Roger Shoaf

Thu, Jan 6, 2005, 10:00pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ROCKHEAD) claims: Hi all! I wanted to try staining a project with tea, coffee or maybe kool-aid( No, I'm not kidding:)) I don't want to use water as the thinner, as that will raise the grain, <snip>
You're pretty much gonna have the grain raise whatever you use. If you're gonna use thinner, I'd skip using tea, or whatever.
I prefer tea. Coffee takes too long to dry, as far as I'm concerned, and, I don't care as much for the look as with tea. Not tried koolaid, but have Rit.
JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED. - Death