Band Saw Question

Last week I ordered a G0555 Grixxly band saw and then cancelled it (Grizzly was very good about it, by the way).

After looking around further, I came down to two other 14" saws: the Delta 28-475X and another Grizzly, the G0570, which Grizzly calls an "Industrial" saw. I've seen claims that it is an upgraded version of the Bridgewood 14-incher and the former Minimax S14.

I have a pretty good idea of the features of the two saws, where they are similar and in what ways they vary. Price-wise they are not too far apart, once I sorted through rebates and other incentives from Delta & Amazon. I am pretty sure that either saw would suit me well for a long time to come. My question is whether people have run into any problems with either of these, or any serious gotchas that are not obvious from the specs.

Thanks !

Reply to
GregP

I'm sure that they were good about it. If you ordered it before the new year you just saved them a lot of money.

Reply to
TBone

I recently purchased the Delta 28-475X. American Woodworker (Oct 2004)

-- a very thorough review of bandsaws available online for free -- rated it very highly; my other choice was the Powermatic 14CS which took a close seond. They ranked the Griz G0555 as the best value. In the end I got such a great deal on the Delta that it made the decision easy, but I spent most of my time thinking about these 3 choices.

In terms of the negatives, I was disappointed that so many of the parts were outsourced, especially the motor (Brazil, I recall) and bearings (Romania, I think). Also, the cast iron table, while as close to perfectly flat as I can tell, is not smooth like a unisaw's cast iron table. This is probably true of the other bandsaws or, I suspect, AW would have mentioned the difference. On the plus side, you have a

5-year warranty with the X5 product line, so if the motor burns out, you can probably get it replaced under warranty. Also, while the specs on the cabinet states that it is a 1.5HP motor (12.8 amps, I think), the specs on the actual motor say it is 2HP (15amps). Not sure what to think, but maybe Delta is trying out a new 2HP motor and is placing it in its X5 lineup for the time being. Regardless, I haven't bogged it down resawing either 6" cherry or mahohany.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase, but I suspect I would have been pleased with the Powermatic 14CS or the Grizzly G0555as well.

BTW, one thing I learned from the AW article that I had not fully appreciated is that the roller guides (std equipment on the Grizzly G0555, for example) are not necessarily a good idea. AW highly recommends using cool blocks rather than carter-style roller bearings unless you are doing lots of resawing.

Whether or not you agree with everything the article states, it is worth reading if you are a novice bandsaw user looking to buy.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Lars Stole

it does, thanks.