Surreal Borg Experience

Page 1 of 5
We all have had less than satisfactory products and services from a big box store. What happened last night was not particularly bad as much as it was surreal. Ya know, strange, werid, etc.
I needed to pick up a couple of items last night. I would have probably put it off for a couple days but a padlock died and needed to be replaced right away. So I venture into the borg to pick up my items. I got them, put them in my cart and then went to the section that had the padlocks.
They had all kinds of cheap, small padlocks. And many big enough to tie up a battleship. But almost nothing of a medium size that I wanted. And the medium sizes were either out of stock or came in sets of three or four. The other interesting thing is that the locks all sported new packaging. They were actually locked onto a strong peice of plastic. (more on this later) After making somebody check stock and climb up on a ladder, we came to a decision on a lock that would probably work for me.
I put the lock in my cart and head to the checkout stand. I get up front and discover that the only checkout stands available are the self service ones. I push the english button on the screen and a voice starts giving me instructions. As someone who has hearing problems, I knew this was not going well.
At his point a young man, who apparently works there to support a drug habit, comes running up geturing wildly and berating me for "not following instructions". I inform him that as someone who is hearing challenged, I do not respond well to squeaky electronic voices. Also if he wanted to communicate with me he had to stop waving his arms about and speak clearly enough for me to understand him.
He looked at me like I was retarded and ran back to his station and produced a portable scanner and scanned everything in my cart. Then he frantically pointed at the screen and yelled for me to make payment. I produced a gift card and asked if the machine took them. He shouted no and snatched the card from my hand.
Then he played with the card for awhile including producing a swithblade type knife from his pocked to scrape some imaginary substance off the card. Finally the card got processed and the machine wants more money. I tried to give the money to him but apparently they don't trust him with money. I went back to the terminal and put in two twenties. Then I waited, and waited, and waited....., for my change.
First a trickle of coins dribbled into a small cup that I was barely able to get the money out of. But no bills The machine owed me $13 and I didn't see it. I searched for a bill dispenser on this infernal machine. Then the whacko kid started gesturing wild at me again and pointing at the floor. I looked on the floor, but no money. He kept pointing and I finally figured out that he bill dispenser was located about ankle level. I bent over and picked out my money bill by bill because it too was too small to put my hand in it.
As I left (fled) the oplace, the whaco kid was juggling a number of rolls of tape. Duct tape, masking tape, packaging tape, etc. He tossed them into the air and could keep a number of them going. He couldn't check me out. But he could yell at me and practice his juggling.
When driving home I kept thinking that this could not get more unreal. I got into the garage and got out the padlock. I tried to open it, no luck. I tried to cut it open with a utility knife. Not only was I unsuccessful, but almost cut an artery. Way too dangerous.
I concluded that he only safe tool to use on this hard plastic lock display was diagonol cutters. It took several cuts and finally a sharp piece of plastic shot off the cutters and almost hit me in the eye! I didn't realize that you had to wear safety glasses to break into a padlock package!
Also, the key does not have a hole in the top of the key to hang it on a ring. Instead it has a large, long hole on the side of the key. That way the key hangs sideways and takes up about three times as much room in your pocket. It also digs into your leg.This afternoon, I am going to drill a regular hole in the top of the key. so it will go onto my keyring and not make a mess. Werid keys, bulletproof packaging, What will they think of next?
It wasn't the worst experience I have had with a big box store. But probably the most surreal in a long time. I kept looking for sign that I was drugged. I was fine. It was the other guys who were obviously stoned.
<end of rant>
You friendly neighborhood curmudgeon, Lee
[snip major sniveling]

Geez! ...sucks to be you. Maybe you can convince whackman to beat-up somebody.
nb

Dang, that was indeed a fun visit to Hell Depot.
My complaints with that place all revolve around service, not the products themselves. A manager can deal with a substandard employee a lot easier than with an entire product line. So I have to ask, did you tell your story to the management of the company? They're the ones who need to hear it. The Contact Us section at homedepot.com has an 800 number and an e-mail form. My wife has contacted them a couple of times (I'm usually too steamed at HD to be trusted with such a task) and been issued discount coupons or something as a result, maybe it's worthwhile for you to give that a try.

The problem with that is that the checkout points are all monitored by video camera, and a quick review of the transaction process would almost assuredly have indicated some pretty serious exaggeration on Lee's part.
Your point though, is well taken. Most people don't complain to management in businesses, because the event was really not as bad as the way they describe it in forums like this, where it's fashionable to write about horror stories. Of course the horror stories always include the claim that the subject of the post was patient, polite, respectful, etc., and the BORG folks were incompetent, rude, dazed, etc. Genuine bad experiences should indeed be reported to management. Right on the spot is better than using web or email services. That does require though, that the complainer have the right personal qualities to face those he's accusing and stand accountable for his claims against someone else. Far easier to just come to a place like this and rant on and on.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

You should have stood in front of it then and blocked his turning it off until he answered your question(s).

It's not all you. Very few people know how to properly speak into a microphone. Biggest problem though is that there seems to be some unwritten rule that says PA systems in fast food joints and airports have to reproduce sound as poorly as possible.

Back in the late 70's / early 80's there was a bit with an exasperated patron at a fast food PA system: <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId_ArKyoYs

"... and a large orange drink".

Rob Leatham
On 12/30/2009 12:30 AM, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I like this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvvjRb2L0bY

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:24:09 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner

Can we ever forget the original Wreck conversation, live from Nueva Jork, Asia? Tendjewberrymud and Jewelcome. http://fwd4.me/9rm
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor
Steve Turner wrote:
... snip

LOL

Rob Leatham
Leon wrote:

... snip

From my experience with DirecPC, I do know that they are really good at apologizing. They are sorry up and down about making you wait, about the fact that they can't actually fix your problem, about the fact that it will take 5 days for a technician to be scheduled, etc. They are polite and apologetic to a T. Problem is, after you hang up, you still have the same problem you started with when you called them 2 hours ago and they haven't done a thing to solve it. Yep, you're right, not satisfied with the experience.

No, that's true, but at least there's a hoomin bean close by where, if I'm really unsatisfied, I can go and physically talk to their manager and get more than "I'm sorry about you having to wait ...."
/soapbox off -- had a very unsatisfying day with Maytag and a brand spanking new (less than 1 day) dishwasher that only worked when the installers put it in. Soonest they can get to is is January 6 (?!). My phone support happiness is not at a very high ebb right now.

Rob Leatham
Snip

Maygtag, isn't that suppose to be a good Washing machine??? Exchange it for a Whirlpool Dish washer. LOL.
We have had a Whirlpool/Kenmore DW and it lasted 14 years with no breaks from daily heavy wash circles. Trays started to rust. Replaced with KitchenAid kept for a few months and exchanged for another Whirlpool/Kenmore and could not be happier. BTY we take the bones off the plates before they go in the DW but little else.

Year 10 for an all stainless Kitchenaid, not a single problem Washes stuff clean, clean, clean. Prior to that, a single-knobbed Maytag which, by best estimate, was about 20 years old. Was replaced for cosmetic and acoustic reasons.

Wasn't the Maytag Corp recently sold?
Think the Chinese expressed an interest.
Lew
Robatoy wrote:
... snip

To be fair, Harley has had problems for years, going back at least to the 60's (70's) when they were owned by AMF and were put on showroom floors with drip pans to catch the leaking oil from new bikes. It didn't earn the appellation, "Hardly Ableson" for nothing. At one point, the employees bought out the company and rescued it. Don' know where they are now as far as quality; they sure seem to have high price sewn up. Just not something that interests me -- I'm more into antique tractors and that kind of thing than motorcycle leather and bugs in my teeth.

Rob Leatham
On 12/31/2009 9:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I buy a lot of appliances and Kitchenaid used to be on the top of the list, but just the last few years I've really been disappointed in their construction, and the number of service calls after we sell a house lately.
I hate having to deal with callbacks and problems, so the last seven or eight years been buying all our appliances for new homes from Sears, catch the sales the top of the line units, and maybe buy two to four of each appliance at a time. Sears will hold delivery/warehouse for months on end, delivery and install is a flat $50, and so far we've been able to have the warranties kick in from the day of installation, not purchase.
Their dual fuel Kenmore stoves have been real popular in our kitchens.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Karl, you are a perfect person to ask. If one of your customers encountered a problem with something not working in one of the houses you built, would you consider a 1 week turnaround to come look at it as an acceptable response time? I'm trying to calibrate myself to whether I'm just an impatient person or not.

Rob Leatham
On 12/31/2009 12:56 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:

What is it?
Rarely would it be over an hour before I would be there to see if there is anything that I personally could do, and to make arrangements for whoever sold us the appliance or itme to make a service call.
(ON MY FREAKING CELL PHONE!! ... for you anti-cellphone luddites ...) :)
For major appliance I have no control over getting service departments to come "today", and really prefer to let the homeowner schedule these at their convenience for obvious reasons, but always after making a personal appearance and insuring that they know that I can stand in for them if necessary ... even then I will generally stop by myself during the service call just to make sure the job is done to my satisfaction.
One of the reasons I use Sears appliances is they are excellent in this regard.
For other items like light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc., I don't bother with repair ... it's immediate replacement with equal or greater product ... and I usually offer to upgrade for the inconvenience.
For each house we sell I do a "House Book", which is big binder which has all the appliance, lighting, plumbing, electrical, etc. info, from installation instructions to warranty information, as well the business contacts for all the trades and major subcontractor who worked on the job. That way if something happens, and in the unlikely event I'm not available, the homeowner has access to the same resources I do.
For other problems, I have a couple of carpenters on call, and if necessary, I can do most anything they can.
I also have a "nuclear option" ... you simply do NOT tell SWMBO that you can't do something. Since she negotiates the deals on appliances, and most all the electrical and plumbing fixtures herself based on the budget I give her, she establishes a relationship with from whom she buys, at the top, and thus goes straight to them if there are any problems. This women would get through to the Prez if she took it into mind to do so, all the while with a smile on her face.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

mercy??
LOL
On 12/31/2009 3:12 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

She is kind, courteous, and sweet personified, with a disarming smile, but inside is a charming junkyard dog ... I've never heard her raise her voice in 25 years, but if she wants to do something, makes no difference if it's an impossibility by all standards, she _will_ have it.
I'm damn lucky she's on my side ... (well, most of the time).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08