Stuck motor shaft key on Delta CS... any ideas?

Page 2 of 2

Yeah, it's too late. I really lost it after everything I tried ended up making the problem worse. The pulley got totally stuck on there (I thought it was on good before, but I managed to get in on even better - how ironic). After injuring myself a couple of times while trying to un-stick the pulley I more or less smashed the motor with the steel bar I'd been using to try to pry the pulley off. I plead temporary insanity (and I'm feeling much better now, ha).
So for better or for worse, it's on to a replacement motor at this point.
PQ
Well, sorta been there done that too. My recommendation is to keep that sucker around for two reasons - a reminder of your costly stupidity and something to beat when the urge hits you.
BTW, you're not married I hope. <g>
Vic
wrote in message news:

Vic Baron wrote:

Further, he really should get that pulley off so that he knows how to do it next time without destroying the motor.
If one is too cheap or poor to buy a gear puller a couple of strategically applied wedges can work wonders.

--
--John

Agreed, good advice :-)
And btw, nope, not married. I'm actually a very even-keeled person 99.99% of the time. There's something about a stubborn mechanical problem that leads to both frustration and injury, that really pushes my buttons. It's the reason I stopped working on my own car - just got tired of cursing and throwing tools around when things went wrong (which was often). Unfortunately, to be a woodworker (as I'm discovering) means putting on a mechanic's hat from time to time. This may come naturally to some folks, just not to me.
PQ

Tsk, Tsk, you should never do that. I'm not the type to lose my temper either. BTW, if you ever need a cheap chainsaw, I can point you to one laying in the woods. I'm not saying how it got there. Ed
thus spoke:

btw: 99.99% of the time means that for just over 52 minutes of the year, you go berserk.
99.999% means just over 5 minutes. 99.9999% means just under 1 minute.
99.99% of the time means that for just over 52 minutes of the year, you

Hm, yes okay you have me there. In the interest of accuracy, I must correct myself and state that I'm very even keeled about 99.9999% of the time. The motor incident ate up my berzerk allotment for the year :-)
PQ
wrote in message news:

You just discovered the value of a pulley puller. Greg
On 17 May 2004 10:19:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pet Quality) wrote:

What? No pictures???
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 789&itemC02197869&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I've gotten one of these for a cyclone I'm building. Haven't put it to use yet but it came in it's original packaging with all the parts/manuals and I expect it to work ok. Just another option. Cheers, cc
snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net (James Cubby Culbertson) wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 789&itemC02197869&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Wow, this looks like an awfully good option - I'm a little skeptical of the price since Delta wants around $250 (or more) for their standard replacement. $70 seems almost too good to be true. But if it's a direct replacement for the CS motor it'd be absolutely perfect...
PQ
Pet Quality wrote:

Actually, it's not a direct replacement. It's a C-face motor and it don't have no way for you to attach it to your saw. No really. It don't.
I don't think that should stop you from buying it. You could maybe destroy it like you did the perfectly good motor you had after not taking the very advice (advise in wreck.speak) you asked for and got here with that little melt down.
I'll tell you what though. I have some perfectly shitty motors here that I could send you and you could beat the crapsnot out of those and have the eBayer send the C-frame directly to me. That way nothing of any value will be harmed.
Deal?
UA100

Thank you for the feedback. You're correct. On closer inspection the shafts are different diameters, among the various differences.

Actually, I did take the advice I got here. I employed every technique suggested to me, except the dripping-of-wax onto the shaft (just didn't get around to that one).
I'm sure you've never lost your temper, so thanks also for what I perceive to be the 'attitude'.

Yuk yuk, you're a card.
PQ
So, you're saying you tried a sheave puller? Really? I don't mean to sound doubtful (okay, yea I do), but I have never seen one that wasn't a total rusted mess that could not be pulled. If you tried the puller and it did not work, then you have nothing to be embarrassed about. The would be known as one stuck MF'r.

I stand corrected, though it's sort of a technicality. I should have stated, "I tried everything that I'd seen suggested to me up to that point". I didn't see the pulley-puller suggestion until after the fact. So, no I didn't try that. I did try the various heating, tapping, spraying, clamping (and so forth) ideas. I suppose that if I'd let the project sit for another day or two, then re-read the newsgroup, I might have seen that one then tried it.
PQ
On 19 May 2004 19:43:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pet Quality) wrote:

the reason the pulley puller recomendation came so late was because you asked how to get the woodruff key out, not how to get the pulley off.
asking the right question is pretty important to getting a useful answer....
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message

Sure, I agree. I didn't mean my comment in a negative way, like "well, why didn't anyone -tell- me?", etc. And you're right that I didn't ask that question - I didn't know at the time that the pulley itself was going to refuse to budge too.
BTW, for archival purposes, I ended up going with Grizzly part #H5382 ($159) as a replacement for the Delta motor. Grizzly model G2535 ($149) is apparently the same size and layout, so it should also work as a direct replacement. This is for a '92 Delta Contractor's saw.
PQ
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pet Quality) wrote in message (mike) wrote in message news:> Is the pulley off yet? If so then hit with a large punch and hammer.

use your wifes hairdryer first, if that dosen't work buy the torch. mike
Is there a second set screw in the hole?