stripping stain

I have an old credenza that someone tried to strip and refinish for me

- but they failed miserably. I'm thinking I'ld like to do it myself this time. I have a handle on how to remove the semi gloss coat but am at a loss on how to remove the stain (minwax maple). It's very blothy. I the think the best case senerio would be to get the wood to a natural state and start over. Any ideas?!?!

I do not know what kind of wood it is (maybe oak?). I just know that it is not cherry and am guessing it's hardwood.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

Reply to
ashe

I don't think you can "strip" stain.

You can bleach wood though (wood bleaches are commercially available). But I'm not sure how well wood bleaches work on blotchy stain, and I don't think you'll end up with "natural". You will end up with something you can re-stain, but the tendancy to blotch will still be there.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Try The different thinners. Recommend you get a good book out on refinishing furniture. I just finished a book by Bonner (I think that was the name) called something like Refinishing furniture. (I know great help) Good book anyway.

Reply to
Young Carpenter