Best Way to "join" picture frames. any tricks/tools/secrets?

I will be building frames for custom mirrors, and would like the joints to be solid, invisible and fairly easy to make. Any wonderful inventions or ideas?

Reply to
OtterEagle

Providing the backs of the frames are flat, you can use pocket holes on the back sides. I just completed building 13 picture frames. I used 1 pocket hole screw in each corner in the back and added glue. Very strong joint. I can send a pic to a.b.p.w if you like.

Reply to
Leon

Why don't more people use a pocket hole?

Reply to
Ramsey

Biscuit joining is a popular method for improving picture frame strength. You could also use V nails on the back surface to hold them together a little better. A good glue always helps :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

- Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones

- Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence

Woody

My theory is that not everyone likes the 'hole' they leave behind. Although you can fill the hole with a pocket hole plug, it's just not to everyones liking. As a method of joinery however, pocket hole joints are very strong and quick and easy to assemble.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

- Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones

- Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence

Woody

I'm just completing a double sided frame used to display a 4' x 1' piece of stained glass art. I used double FF biscuits at each miter. I set up a simple jig to hold each frame member while I cut the FF slot (PC 557). The assembled frame surfaces lined up within a few thou. Also used a one-off jig to do the glue-up.

Reply to
Frank Mutchler

I totally agree but, like the I-hooks & cable or hanger bracket and picture retainers, the pocket holes are on the back and do not show.

Reply to
Leon

A special Frame clamp That is a clamp and a mitre joint all in one. There are also Shears that can be obtained for a perfectly smooth joint (so they claim). Low angle smooth planes smooth the joints. Veritas and several other suppliers have four way clamps. Different joining techniques. Lap joints, Lap mitered joints (if your looking for a challenge) Spline mitres, staples, nails, Pocket joints.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

The key is getting the miters as close to 45 degrees as possible (assuming of course that it is a four sided frame. I can't get them perfect using my CMS so I get a slight gap, but small enough that it is acceptable for my purposes. 4 corner clamps or a band clamp make glue up easier. I have made quite a few frames so I made my own jig. Can't remember where I found the plans but if you are interested, email me and I'll send you a picture.

I have seen Norm cut his on a CMS leaving them a little long, then trim them with a guillotine-style miter cutter that uses a razor blade. Woodworkers Warehouse has them for about $100 US. Might be worth it if you are building enough frames. With the cost of framing now, it wouldn't take many to justify this.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Look into an Incra sled. I have an Incra 1000 that I made a sled for which looks a lot like the new Incra 5000. I have a bit more hold down capability in mine, but the 5000 is the way to go for a "store bought" unit. You'll be able to cut miters that close to less than 0.001"

Be sure to use biscuits or splines to keep the joints closed.

Phil

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Phil