Picture Frames

PICTURE FRAMES

From a novice

So I did it the usual way - first tried it and then read the manual. In this case the Net. Found enough to read for days on end. But what the manual lacks is the specific and personal experiences of people.

My wife has done some fabric painting (very large fabrics) and had some of it framed in the cheapest possible manner. I thought I could do better after one of the frames stared to "wrap' (turn skew). Big mistake !! I bought the cheapest wood available in case, as I suspected, I would be making a boo-boo of the exercise, and found that on a big piece you should not try to do it the traditional way. I have read enough to now understand that I should rather start on a smaller frame and gain experience than to jump in and the deep end. I drowned.

Are there someone in this newsgroup that would be prepared to share some information and experience on picture framing. Please!

Reply to
Alfa

Don't let anyone else know you can make them, or you'll do nothing but.

Seriously, best things for picture framers are a good mitering jig using the saw of preference, and the four-cornered clamps.

If you cut your miters well, and make sure the opposite pieces are _exactly_ the same length, you don't need to chase alternately opening corners as the glue dries. Straight-grained wood is nice, but straight pieces are really all that's required.

For framing fabric, your subframe can be made adjustable, or you can get a good set of stretching pliers. Obviously if you stretch the entire frame with wedges, you'll want to wait on the outer frame.

Must be hundreds of books out there - go to a used book store or library and keep the information fresh and in front of you as you work. If, as you imply, your saw is not there, tell the group what you're using, and I'm sure you'll get jig advice.

Reply to
George

I'm in the midst of taking on this task as well.

Just like there's more than one way to skin a cat, not all frames need to be made with mitered corners. Check out:

TheNewGuy

Sorry, bad link. Try again:

TheNewGuy