stripping OLD paintwork

I have deja'd but nothing seems to answer my question eaxactly, so please bear with me :-)

We have had some wainscotting installed using reclaimed tongue and groove. However, the reclaimed tng was previously painted and now looks very tatty - basically we need to repaint it. However, we presume we'll need to strip the old paint off the wood first.

We have tried using a heat gun and scraper BUT its has taken an age to do less than 10 feet length - we would have another 40 feet or so to do. (an age = about three days!).

Is there an alternatoive that we could use that would be as effective for a paint over afterwards? The wood is full of staples etc (we think it probably came froma school maybe) so sanding probably isn't an option as the staples would just rip the sanding paper to bits :-(

I am a diy novice so please be gentle - basically I haven;t a clue what to do or how to acheive it; all I know is it needs to be done (?) before painting and I want the easiest/least hassle route to acheive it!

(not much to ask ;-)

cheers

ian

Reply to
didds

I think T&G flooring looks absolutly horrendous painted. Anyway how about turning it over?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In article , didds writes

The trick is to take off most with the hot-air gun & scraper, then remove the residue with paint stripper & wire wool, lots quicker.

Reply to
fred

You mean like a bedsheet, I'm sure that would take no time at all with hardly any risk of damage to the boards, great idea!

Reply to
fred

Get it caustic dipped. You'll need to take it down first, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For painting you only need a flat, sound surface. Get the staples out, and sand. If it *really* has to be stripped, dismantle and take it to a stripper. It's the job from hell in situ. Scraping with a chisel at 45 degs can be surprisingly quick if the paint isn't well adhered to the wood, but the grooves are not so easy.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

no need to strip to paint. If you prefer wood, apply white spirit and wire brush to clean up.

Maybe use linseed oil based paint, told it needs a fraction the maintenance of household gloss.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Bear in mind that old paint can have lead in it - wear a decent mask.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I don;t follow you here NT... I understand the bit about not having to strip etc., but what do you mean by "if you prefer wood" ?

please pardon my ignorance...

cheers

ian

Reply to
didds

Except it's not flooring, it's wainscot, with either V or cockbead joint moulding, and there won't be any moulding on the reverse side.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

In article , Peter Taylor writes

Looks like you missed the sarcasm dripping from my words ;-)

Reply to
fred

Far too subtle for me Fred :) No, I was directing my wisdom at his Lordship

Reply to
Peter Taylor