Problem installing carpet tack strip on old concrete slab.

Pound on the concrete nail on the strip but it only break the concrete or the nail bend itself. My concrete carbide drill diameter is larger than the nails. Concrete is old and hard, any suggestions? Time to get some Loctite Power Grab?

Reply to
Fred

Drill the holes with your masonry bit, drive a piece of dowel into the hole, then nail or screw to the dowel? Yeah, that's a lot of drillin'. Maybe double-sided tape? Tom

Reply to
tom

Liquid Nails

Reply to
PanHandler

Liquid nails will help as a glue. As far as nailing the tack strip, you only get two blows per nail with the hammer. If you are meekly tapping at them the only thing you will do is bend the masonry nails or chip holes in the concrete.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Another thing is Contact Cement. I have seen many a carpet layer us this method and I have removed many a strip that have been glued down.

The thing to use is a heavy glue and make sure it is good and buttere up and let it dry over night.

It will hold really well and can be removed with some effort if yo want to lay laminate flooring in the futur

-- On My Wa

----------------------------------------------------------------------- On My Way's Profile:

this thread:

On My Way

According to Fred :

You might want to consider "Tapcon" screws. You can buy small packages of these _with_ the required carbide drill bit from just about any hardware or big box store for a few bucks.

Hold the tack strip in place, drill the hole, drive in the tapcon.

I'd recommend the ones with the hex heads, not screwdriver heads. Easy to drive with a socket in your drill. Or even a ratchet wrench.

But improving your technique with the hammer will make things go MUCH faster. You might find an improvement with a 2 pound or heavier hammer (small sledge hammer, big ballpeen hammer etc).

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Contact Adhesive that is used for Formica

Reply to
barbarow