Stripping Oil-Based Stain

How? What if it has a polyurethane topcoat? I want to strip and restain some luan doors. Any advice appreciated!

TIA, James

Reply to
James Harvey

How valuable is your time? If the finish is polyurethane, and the door is just a plain "slab" luan sheeted door, I suggest replacing the door. They cost about $20-$25.

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:30:20 GMT, James Harvey pixelated:

Heat to 1200°F for one hour. Yeah, that oughta handle it.

---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--

- Schnazzy Tees online

Larry Jaques

I just don't want to go thru mortising the hinges and lockset again. These are new luan doors, but I don't like the way they look. Time is not a problem if I can get them stripped properly. Any ideas?

Reply to
James Harvey

Believe me, if the expense of buying new doors wasn't a problem, I'd turn them to ash rather quickly. In lieu of that solution, any ideas?

Reply to
James Harvey

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:56:13 -0500, "James Harvey" pixelated:

I'm hoping you meant "strip and reFINISH", not stain.

Here's what I'd do:

Strip with a methylene chloride-based stripper. Wetsand with 320 grit and paint thinner and wipe dry. Wipe with lacquer thinner to finish cleaning it. Wipe with linseed oil to check for even color. (If it had been painted/stained, you'll see it here. G'luck. If you're going to stain it, do it before the Waterlox.)

Refinish with Waterlox, a nice tung oil and varnish mix.

2 or 3 coats will do. (Now it's too glossy for me so I'd let it sit for a couple days to harden thoroughly.)

Degloss with 0000 steel wool coated with Johnson's paste wax. Buff to an even matte finish.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Larry Jaques at jake@di/ersify.com wrote on 9/25/03 6:04 PM:

Well, my intent was to restain, probably with a wood dye (tinted lacquer?), to match other existing bifold doors. I was unaware that oil stains were clear stains, as opposed to opaque stains, which actually color the wood, as you know. The existing doors are prolly around 20 years old (they are luan), and were dyed to a brown color. My only other choices are to find some luan bifold doors and stain those, or remove the existing doors, strip them, and refinish to match. Or I could just say screw it, and leave it all as is. The mismatch with other doors doesn't look bad, just odd. I'm trying to fix up the house for sale.

. I never realized what kind of skill and talent it takes to do this kind of stuff. But I'm fairly patient and have time to learn.

TIA, James

Reply to
James Harvey

People are staining wood with sh*t?

Is THAT what's in those Minwhacks cans???

Reply to
Silvan

Not deliberately. Only when there's a finger/powertool near-miss incident.

Reply to
Rob Bowman

So now you're saying woodworkers bleed sh*t?

This is getting weird.

Reply to
Silvan

No. That really would be weird. I said "near-miss incident".

Reply to
Rob Bowman