Storing Clamps

Page 2 of 2
On 13 Jan 2004 18:04:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

All of my spring clamps are hung on an old curtain rod that was installed over one of the windows in my shop. They're always available but out of the way and can easily be sorted by size.
My bar clamps ended up being hooked over a long dowel hung between two joists along the short wall by the door. Again, simple to sort and get to, yet out of the way.
If you lightly clamp them, they'll be fine 'til the cows come home.
dave
Creamy Goodness wrote:

"Creamy Goodness" wrote in message

make
speak.
What I find easier with Besseys is to close the jaws with just enough pressure to keep them that way, then hook the bottom of the "K" over a 2X2 nailed between the joists ... that way it doesn't take two hands to unclamp them to get them down.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:29:30 -0700, "Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote:

I like to store clamps in the fully open position, so that they are ready to hand for glue-ups (I'm even fussy enough to set the handles so that only the first line of thread is showing above, as glue-ups can be a frantic process that thrives on being able to grab the clamps with each being in the same condition of openness). I used to store my clamps on a two by four as you do but had two by fours fastened through the edges, at a position down towards the handle, so that the clamps hung at an angle, rather than hanging vertically. I don't think that storing the clamps closed, with moderate pressure, will hurt them - but they will not be ready to do what they are intended to do.
If you have a sufficient number of clamps, I would recommend making a clamp roll around, as it can be a great help during glue-up.
Mine is shown at:
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page28.htm

Absolutely.
My assistant right now has a habit of setting the screws all of the way open. too far, such that when you slip it into place and push the jaw up to the wood you don't have any room on the thread to back off a tad so's you can shift the clamp a bit before driving it home. then you gotta take the clamp back off, twiddle the screw a bit, try again.
Gotta break her of that habit.

I'm getting closer to having a plan for a roll around clamp rack. I'm thinking it will have vertical storage for bar clamps, maybe a couple of drawers for C clamps, a shelf for glue and another drawer for biscuits and dowels. and somewhere to keep spring clamps.

I'll trade ya ; ^ )
    Bridger

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:20:17 -0700, Bridger wrote:
lamps hung at an angle, rather than hanging vertically.

I have one based on a Woodsmith article - love it. Holds pipe clamps, bar clamps, C-clamps, scissors clamps, glue, bins for screws/nails/anything else. Only has a footprint of 20" x 36" and 5.5' tall.
-Doug
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:20:49 GMT, Doug Winterburn

post a picture?

bar
Yes please. Tom's looks great, but a little too big for my workshop. BTW - Tom, got plans for the waterfall? ;)
BTW - Creamy Goodness, the name I post under, is my on-line gaming name. My other hobby is computer games and I've been using that for years as my tag. I post in a few game-related NG's so I'm lazy about changing it when I post here. (Someone asked?)
Mike Rinken
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:02:28 -0700, Bridger wrote:

I'll do a couple in the morning on abpw.
-Doug

That's what I ended up doing after sprinting around the shop during glueups to get ....just one more! A also made a home for the sanders and paper so assembly/finishing is nonaerobic now.

'Tommy Boy', Nice looking 'shop' photos . . . what's with the 'waterfall/dam' ? . . . the view out your back window. You know, nobody *really* likes a Show Off.
How about a more recent shot . . . like late this afternoon when the temperature drops to about ZERO !!
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {"Now where was that address for the DN Iceboat plans ??"}
SNIP

Yeah, shop is next to the stream, a little downstream from the dam. Unfortunately, the stream was redirected by the big storm this summer and breached the wingwall, so the dam/waterfall is dry and silent. The township is gonna put the stream back in its original channel this Spring.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:29:30 -0700, "Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote:

Not sure. But it is actually better to store clamps not under pressure as that makes it easier to use. I have a storage clamp area where my bar clamps, C clamps, K-Body, pipe clamps, Quick clamps, Jorgensen bar clamps, spring clamps, web clamps, etc are all stored where I can get to quickly. I put turnbuckles on the long clamps to keep them from falling, but they are still slanted up against the wall.