Storing Clamps

I got lucky during the clamp fiasco at Woodcraft and proudly display my collection in my workshop. I have a 2x4 nailed horizontally to the framing in my garage which works perfectly for this. One question that troubles me though. When storing them, I clamp them down so as not to fall off. I tighten them enough to hold without slipping off and so the kids couldn't pull them off.

But the question is should they be stored not clamped down? I want to make sure I'm not going to harm them by storing them under pressure so to speak.

Many thanks in anticipation of an answer!

Mike Rinken

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

Good clamps are much stronger than the 2x4 you have them snugged up on and will not be hurt by the slight expansion a 2x4 will have. In the future you might want to build a rack with slots that the clamps can slip into and put a lip in the front of it so that the clamps cannot fall out. This makes it much easier to get them and put them away while still preventing them from falling on anyone

Reply to
Tbone

Creamy Goodness asks:

I don't know what the official line is, but I store most clamps lightly close, some more tightly (heavier handled clamps fall off more easily). Spring clamps are stored clamped to a board, as the only other way I know of is to toss the lot in a bucket and have a blast sorting out one when it's needed. If the studs are open in your shop, you might nail a board across part way up and stick the bar clamps (including pipe clamps) behind that.

One fast note: what are the kids doing in your shop if they're young enough to be yanking on things they should yank on?

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

locations. I have doors with locks on the cabinets so they can't get at my tools (except the stuff on the peg board) and all of the main tools like the Table saw and Band Saw have moving bases that lock down so they can't roll away without someone loosening things. I've tried to make it as safe as possible for the kids and we've never had an accident. I involve them in smaller projects so they learn about tools, safety using the tool, and the dangers of scary sharp things. They do a great job policing their friends around the TS and BS.

I worry quite a bit about it too, that's why they're tightened down so they can't be yanked off. Those things are heavy!!!!

Mike Rinken

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

my preference would be to store them with the jaws open to somewhere in the range of use. running the jaws in and out is a waste of time and wear on the clutch plates.

clamp storage is still evolving in my shop.... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Creamy Goodness responds:

Makes sense to me. I'm way past the stage where I have to worry about underage trespassers in my shop, but the thought of a 3' or 4' K body clunking Junior on the noggin isn't a pleasant one.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

I store my bar clamps between the floor joists in the ceiling of my basement shop. A screwed some pieces of 1x3 between various joists and just slip the clamps on top of those.

It's not as convenient to get them out and put them away as some of the fancy clamp storage furniture I've seen, but I can't afford to give away any floor space so I get creative with storage.

Reply to
Roy Smith

one in my bedroom in case of unwanted "visitors" in the middle of the night. But I've got 2 fur covered razor blades for that.

Thanks! (BTW - Impressive resume. I've lurked in this group for about 7 years now and I'm always impressed by the people here. Well most of them anyways.)

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

If you lightly clamp them, they'll be fine 'til the cows come home.

dave

Creamy Goodness wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

What I find easier with Besseys is to close the jaws with just enough pressure to keep them that way, then hook the bottom of the "K" over a 2X2 nailed between the joists ... that way it doesn't take two hands to unclamp them to get them down.

Reply to
Swingman

On 13 Jan 2004 18:48:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, go ahead and protect them right out of existence, guys. The first bad thing that happens to them in -real- life may kill them if they're not prepared for the unexpected. Besides, remember back when we wore scars as signs of life experience?

To each their own.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

it would be very inconvenient in my shop. the ceiling is 12 feet up.... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Larry Jaques responds:

Huh? I'm not exactly sure how keeping a 5 or 6 year old from yanking a clamp down on his head is protecting him out of existence. Care to explain?

I've always kept kids out of my shop, or been right with them and watching, but that's not possible for all people in all shops, and no matter how a person's good medical insurance is, cracking the skull on a kindergartner is not sensible practice, IMO.

And, yeah, I know they should be taught to leave things alone. I was and I've got the scars to prove it doesn't work all the time.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

On 14 Jan 2004 08:36:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Agreed, kids don't belong in a shop, but when they're there, they will learn what not to pull down on top of themselves. The vast majority will survive the knocks and bruises of growing up. Those whose parents have removed all dangers from their lives will die at the first sign of trouble when the parents aren't watching or after they've flown the coop. Darwin has his ways, y'know. He and the Reaper are buddies. If our parents had kept all danger away from us, would we have learned how to avoid it now?

Hey, smart kids quickly learn how to duck. I still say:

Spare the Bessey, spoil the child.(tmLJ)

See? We're still proud of 'em and we're smarter for it. ;)

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've always encouraged them to come into the shop and ask questions. Education is the best weapon against injury but they'll still be kids and will hurt them selves. My original post wasn't about trying to keep the kids safe, I can do my best at that. I wanted to know if keeping clamps stored in a tightened position would hurt them over time.

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

Yes, as the kids heads get larger the pressure from the clamp will start to hurt them.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Was that supposed to be some kind of gloat?

My basement ceiling is kind of low (about 7' 8" to the subfloor, maybe

7' even to the bottom of the joists). What I wouldn't give for another 6 inches of headroom.
Reply to
Roy Smith

Dad? Dad? Izzthat you???

Reply to
mttt

'Creamy', Education AND constant observation/vigilance until they are 'of an age to appreciate' {varies from individual}. A skinned knuckle is a 'learning experience', 'dismemberment' is another story.

Back to the question . . . as a matter of principle I never store anything 'tightened down' - not my Vise-Grips, Clamps, or handgun hammers.

My 'Woodworker's Clamps' are turned to just touch & aligned, then stored in a large,clear, plastic box under the 'big bench'. The 'sliding clamps' to

18in are also in that box. Some of the 4 inch ones go in the 'bucket seat' along with some large plastic 'squeeze clamps'. The 48 inch 'sliding clamps, and the 50in 'Grip Clamp' hang on a large 'utility' hook screwed into a joist at the rear of the shop. My 'C' clamps are 'self aligning' and stored on the 'clothes pole' of a closet beside my downstairs 'small bench'. They are opened to somewhat smaller than the diameter of the pole. My 50in 'flat' clamps, more 48in sliding clamps, and the 111inch rolls of background paper are 'slung' on a couple of inverted "T" holders I fabricated from PVC pipe attached to the basement joists. The 60in 'Pipe Clamps' just lean against the right-angle juncture between two shelf units.

Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {You can NEVER have 'too many' clamps !!}

SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

I like to store clamps in the fully open position, so that they are ready to hand for glue-ups (I'm even fussy enough to set the handles so that only the first line of thread is showing above, as glue-ups can be a frantic process that thrives on being able to grab the clamps with each being in the same condition of openness). I used to store my clamps on a two by four as you do but had two by fours fastened through the edges, at a position down towards the handle, so that the clamps hung at an angle, rather than hanging vertically. I don't think that storing the clamps closed, with moderate pressure, will hurt them - but they will not be ready to do what they are intended to do.

If you have a sufficient number of clamps, I would recommend making a clamp roll around, as it can be a great help during glue-up.

Mine is shown at:

J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson