Storage of hardware - ideas needed please. (possible duplicate)

Page 1 of 2
Well, my untidy ways have finally got the better of me. I searched the shop for nearly an hour looking for a packet of 12mm coach head bolts I had just bought. I sat the project down and began the hunt, looked high and low, checked the bins, drawers, shelves, floor, benches - everywhere. Finally I decided to just go to the borg and get some more, so I put the project in a safe place and, you guessed it, there they were - under the project. While I was looking, I realised that I have never attempted to get a proper system set up, and now I was paying the price (yet again).
Reading the archives, I came up with some broken links and a few ideas (and I am still googling away). But one thing the years spent here have taught me - I will not be the only one to benefit from a discussion on this subject (I've seen photos of a lot of your shops guys).
So, I want to sort myself out and create some sort of sensible, c l e a r l y l a b e l l e d , storage system. This is where you can help, if you have a sensible, easy to store, retrieve and labelled hardware system in your shop - I'd really appreciate seeing any pics you may have. If you have a link, great.
I would like to know the way you store - by type, size, nuts, bolts, nails etc.
Containers? Bins? Jars (standard or sealed top)? Boxes? Pegboard packs? Is there some software that is good for doing labels? What other considerations should I be aware of?
I don't care what it looks like in the end, so long as it is functional and safe - (I'd rather not have to pick hardware out of broken glass again, it's the pits, DAMHIKT)
TIA
--
Greg

Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg Millen wrote:

I have a three drawer Craftman roll around chest that holds most of my screws, nails etc. I also have two 12" x 18" x 3" plastic organizers with see through lids and about 20 compartments in each. One has my washers, the other small bolts & nuts. Works for now.
C.H. Becksvoort has a neat system. http://www.chbecksvoort.com/shop.html
Tom Plamann built one in a wall. http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/intheshopiii/view.nhtml?profile=intheshopiii&UID 006
-- Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
I use metal cabinets with 40 to 60 drawers mounted on the wall. An example seen here.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id „5524441899635&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath08474395348043&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303512781&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath%34374303512788&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374303512788&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id08474395348027&bmUID81000184133
I have 6 of them mounted on the wall, works great for small parts. The only problem is remembering to put the parts away when you bring them home.
Rick
webservant for
Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca Wycliffe Bible Translators Caribbean http://www.wycliffecaribbean.org Journaling / mental health http://www.pipcom.com/~jpeacock / Bothwell Baptist Church http://www.forministry.com/CAONBCOOQBBC1

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Rick Gibson" wrote in message ...

That looks promising. Do you get much dust in them? are they susceptible to rusting? How do you label them?
cheers,
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Mark Jerde" wrote in message ...

I also have some of those, and a number of others. Part of my problem is clear labelling and consistency. From what people have suggested so far, I seem to have a bit of each.

Mr Becksvoort is one lucky chap to have found that cabinet. I will say though, that it would be nice to have, but not ideal. I would prefer to take the boxes on the road with me, and not have to decant them. I'd also like them to be transparent if possible.
I'll post some thoughts on this a bit later.

Would that we were all like Tom <sigh>!
thanks for the links and thoughts Mark,
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg Millen wrote:

I've learned *not* to dump boxes of screws etc. into labelless bins, but leave them in the original, labeled boxes. ;-) This won't work when I graduate to 5 lb & larger boxes...
-- Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:18:58 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

True. And if you buy hardware at the Borg, get the 100 pc box. It costs the same as about 25 single pieces and you end up with quite a few pre-labeled spares.
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity