Started out to be "Inexpensive jointer"

Page 3 of 3
On 4/2/2014 8:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

yes it is, but most use C/A.
I don't build anylonger, nor have I competed since 2007 or 2008 can't remember.
Most all high performance models are molded or glass/carbon/kevlar over foam. Mine were molded carbon fiber so they were used epoxy.
I actually think that ambroid is better than C/A.. while C/A is fast cure, ambroid is not as brittle. But only some of the old timers build with it. And maybe some indoor guys, but I'm not sure.
--
Jeff

Ambroid's still available. I'm not sure if the glue's the same as the stuff in the 50's, as I've never used it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Yes indeed. I suppose I SHOULD wear ear protection but I never have because I want to hear the machine.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I can usually hear the machine just fine with ear protection on. It's muffled, not completely blocked out. Some hearing protection is available with different levels of dampening.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

And I agree with that. I usually had ear muffs, so when I was right beside a running machine, they would be on, but then when I was trying to communicate with a student, they would be slid off, at least one ear. A mistake on a running machine can still be heard, clearly, if you know what you are trying to hear.
--
Jim in NC

+1. "Nuff said.
--