spoke shave parts

The metal bodied low angle shave, because it comes out of the box, just about perfectly suitible for the task

Need any blades? I just happened to find 4 "new old stock" second generation, Cryo treated Hock spokeshave irons whilst a box this afternoon.
I just know there is another dozen I lost years ago that is going to turn up..... someday. sure wish I could find them, they weren't cheap!-(
-- J G (knuckle dragger)

What kinda $ you talking J.G.? My e-mail works if you wanna use it.
Dan
"Dan Cullimore" wrote in message

treated
turn
Oh say $25 plus shipping.

Modest to a fault. :-) In case some others following this thread don't know it, JG is none other than Johnny Spokeshave. He used to travel the country holding workshops for building your own wooden spokeshave. He worked with Ron Hock to design irons for the things, and he even sent me (free) my first spokeshave kit.

Listen to what he is saying. I thought my old #53 was pretty good until I made my own wooden low-angle. Then LV came out with their metal low-angle and because of the flexibility you have in setting the thing up, it functions even better than my wooden shaves. (It's not as pretty, but now they have a kit so you can make your own body to go with their iron.)
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Shaves -- they're not just for spokes anymore.

Alex: Did not think to ask about an improved lever cap (cap iron?), so I'll take whatever they send (I asked for the blade and cap iron; adjustment screws came with the body, as did a cap screw).
Patriarch: Can't get one from LV for what I paid. I also like the challenge/education of restoring old tools (to a limit I don't think this shave will exceed).
BTW--Why do you think I can trust this seller? She was already deceptive about the tool (or about her qualifications for assessing it's condition), and in e-mails has given me no reason to trust her further--she had the audacity to as much as call me stupid for trusting her judgment, even while (finally) admitting she is "no expert." To my mind, stating a thing is in "excellent condition" presumes the capacity of making such a judgment, as well as being an explicit statement about (in this case) the tool's usefulness. This person clearly had no regard for her lack of knowledge, for the unusable condition of the tool was obvious to anyone with even the slightest knowledge of it's use; or she had no concern for me as a buyer, because, after all she did name it correctly (how many non-woodworkers would know this?--not many!) and thus knew something about it's use. In short, she was deliberately deceptive. If the person with a claim to make is not qualified to make it the only honest thing to do is admit one's ignorance. I frequently see an item offered at auction about which the seller admits to not knowing even what it is, much less what it's condition or usability might be. The market then decides how to trust the seller based on honest disclosure, not falsely perpetrated expertise. Here involved is a principle of integrity. She has lost me as a customer.
Good God, I think I needed a rant--sorry, Patriarch :}

Lever cap. It was mensioned earlier as being poor quality design as well as the cap iron mainly. BTW Museum of woodworking tools has new Hock blades for the 151, both A2cryo and HC steels: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ click "planes". It might be designed to be more compatible with the original cap iron, but I would communicate with them and ask.

semi-OT: I just bought an old rip-cut hand saw, $10, 7 tpi/ppi with teeth having alternating hights and only slightly side-to-side. I think it's a rip because of the angle of the handle, as cutting at a 60 angle rather than a cross-cut @45. Right now the handle has been stripped with heavy gauge steel wool and finished with fine steel wool, and is drying a new coat of spar varnish, I will put on another 3 coats, sanding each one until the last. The blade was coated with dried old sap, so it wasn't even rusty at all. It's been scrubbed and has absorbed 3 coats of wd-40. The old spring steel is awesome for a generic saw, 1/32" thick and you can't find them made in the USA this good.

No shit man! Goog thinking!
Alex

Hey, Patriarch--I just realized you were talking about trusting LV...DOH! And that I forgot to sign my last post--DOH DOH!! I really DID need a rant!
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Dan Cullimore) wrote in

Feel better now? Good! ;-)
That NEVER happens to me. Nope. never. Well, not very often. No more than once or twice a month.
Patriarch