spoke shave parts

Hey, Patriarch--I just realized you were talking about trusting LV...DOH! And that I forgot to sign my last post--DOH DOH!! I really DID need a rant!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Lever cap. It was mensioned earlier as being poor quality design as well as the cap iron mainly. BTW Museum of woodworking tools has new Hock blades for the 151, both A2cryo and HC steels:

click "planes". It might be designed to be more compatible with the original cap iron, but I would communicate with them and ask.

semi-OT: I just bought an old rip-cut hand saw, $10, 7 tpi/ppi with teeth having alternating hights and only slightly side-to-side. I think it's a rip because of the angle of the handle, as cutting at a 60º angle rather than a cross-cut @45º. Right now the handle has been stripped with heavy gauge steel wool and finished with fine steel wool, and is drying a new coat of spar varnish, I will put on another 3 coats, sanding each one until the last. The blade was coated with dried old sap, so it wasn't even rusty at all. It's been scrubbed and has absorbed

3 coats of wd-40. The old spring steel is awesome for a generic saw, 1/32" thick and you can't find them made in the USA this good.

No shit man! Goog thinking!

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

"J G" wrote in news:ZLiDc.15113$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I agree that the LV spkeshaves are good things. I own the Low Angle, and the pair of wooden handled jewels that Robin introduced last winter. They were also on the benches at the College of the Redwoods, when we visited the shop in February, for the winter student show. 'I' like them, but I am in NO WAY an expert in things Neander. A wanna-be neophyte, as it were.

My question was, perhaps unclear. If you were to recommend a 'starter shave' of the LV group, what would it be, and why?

BTW, your plans for a spokeshave are squirreled away on my hard drive somewhere, for a future winter evenings' project. You can always use one more good one, right?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Dan Cullimore) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Feel better now? Good! ;-)

That NEVER happens to me. Nope. never. Well, not very often. No more than once or twice a month.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" My question was, perhaps unclear. If you were to recommend a 'starter

The metal bodied low angle shave, because it comes out of the box, just about perfectly suitible for the task

Need any blades? I just happened to find 4 "new old stock" second generation, Cryo treated Hock spokeshave irons whilst a box this afternoon.

I just know there is another dozen I lost years ago that is going to turn up..... someday. sure wish I could find them, they weren't cheap!-(

-- J G (knuckle dragger)

Reply to
J G

What kinda $ you talking J.G.? My e-mail works if you wanna use it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Modest to a fault. :-) In case some others following this thread don't know it, JG is none other than Johnny Spokeshave. He used to travel the country holding workshops for building your own wooden spokeshave. He worked with Ron Hock to design irons for the things, and he even sent me (free) my first spokeshave kit.

Listen to what he is saying. I thought my old #53 was pretty good until I made my own wooden low-angle. Then LV came out with their metal low-angle and because of the flexibility you have in setting the thing up, it functions even better than my wooden shaves. (It's not as pretty, but now they have a kit so you can make your own body to go with their iron.)

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Shaves -- they're not just for spokes anymore.

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Oh say $25 plus shipping.

Reply to