Speaking of tapes

Why don't they make a 8 or 10 foot 1 inch wide tape? I don't need a 16 or 25 foot tape in the shop. The closest I can find is a 12 foot 5/8 inch wide tape.
On 2/13/2012 11:15 AM, Bigpole wrote:

That's why I keep the carpenter rules handy...

I would assume the wider tapes are wider primarily so they span farther without collapsing when you are sending them out to some distant point. A 10' tape won't collapse that easy in such short distance.

Stanley claims an 11' standout for their 1-1/4" wide tapes. 35 footers are standard model for contractors.
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:17:37 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Pinging Rob Lee...Rob Lee, please pick up the white courtesy telephone...
-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves... We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. Peter McWilliams, Life 101
On 2/13/2012 11:15 AM, Bigpole wrote:

Probably because the wider tapes are made that way so that they can put more curl in them so that you get a greater stand off length. Short tapes don't need a long stand off.

Sure they do. Every single time it's out about 4 or 6 feet, depending on the width of the tape, I wish for longer standoff. Always when working horizontally, quite often when working vertically.
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach