Where to buy a 8'long 1"' wide Tape Measure

Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't need a 16' tape in the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.

Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

You can check here, at Lee Valley.

smallest they seem to have is a 10' x 1/2". Their 1" tapes (and almost anyone elses that I can remember) are all longer - usually 12' or 16'.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Perhaps you could go with a happy medium. 12' x 3/4"? There's a Lufkin with these dimensions.

Chrisgiraffe

I'm not sure the length because mine is hiding from me...

FastCap "FlatBack" Cabinetmaker's Tape

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I too have longed for a short tape with the wide blade, and have never come across one. I suspect it is an issue of making the case dimensions functional, where a properly-proportioned case that can accommodate a 1" blade can hold a much longer amount of tape, so they put it in there.

I currently use a tape with just such a compromise as mentioned here -

12' x 3/4", and it is reasonably satisfactory.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

Seems to me that, if it's THAT important to have an 8' tape, then pulling it out to its extreme, cutting off the excess, punching holes in the 8' section to take care of the spring, then putting it all back together again would do the trick.

On the other hand, what's the harm of a little extra? Sooner or later you'll have a 9' or 10' board in the shop and you'll want to mark off something "just out of the reach" of the 8' tape. ;-)

Jim Stuyck -- the pragmatist

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

The issue is physical dimensions of the case I believe--an 8 foot will fit in a smaller case than a 16.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The closest I can get to your requirement is the Blindman's Tape 12'-0" lg X

1" wide it comes either with R to L or L to R reading check :
myself, for cabinet making prefer the Starrett Folding Extension Rule. Check:
I find it more precise to adjust, gauge and marke the average pieces of wood. It is especially useful when I adjust the table saw, checking the depth of a hole and the thickness of board out of the planer and so on. Not to mention that I have about 6 measuring tapes ranging from 10 feet to 100 feet.
Reply to
<marierdj

I don't know about that. It seem unlikely to me that a manufacturer would design two seperate cases for a 8' difference. Example: The Stanley FaxMax 16' thru 35' all appear to have the same case.

Nova

It's a 16' footer

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:53:16 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Reply to
Tom Banes

I wouldn't be terribly sure about that- the spool that the tape winds around will have to be a certain minimum size to accommodate the wider tape (a wider tape usually has a more dramatic curve in it) Eight feet of wound tape isn't going to make much of a difference in the case size.

Reply to
Prometheus

Reply to
Bigpole