Snipe

Page 2 of 2
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

This being the Wreck, I'd predict another eleventy billion (US) times.
mucho snippage...
I also tried the fire starter trick and have come to the same conclusions. I'm not sure I want to go the kerosene route but it is stored here on the master hard drive for future consideration.

Funny you should be bringing up the whole idea of the hope chest. My Dad built hope chests/blanket boxes for all the Grandkids. My own Claire, age nine, came along too late in Dad's life and didn't get hers. Me being who I and doing what I do will take care of that. There's also a new Great-Nephew on board (for the last year and a half) and a future Grand-(insert sex here) due in the next coupla. I figure, might as well be carrying on tradition and seeing to it that they have their hope chest/blanket boxes. Now, for design, the most recent issue of Fine Wooddorking magazine has a very sweet looking "Heirloom Tool Chest" that without the tool inserts would make for a spanky hope chest/blanket box.
UA100

---snip---
what I have seen done and looks like it would work as well or better, not smell or present a hazard and be more convenient to boot is:
go to the store and get a whack of wax paper disposable cups- the kind that are supplied along side the water cooler in office type places. get also a block of canning wax (parrafin, kieth (not gasoline, david)).
stuff the cup with the fluffy shavings from the planer and drizzle the melted wax over it. do a bunch of them at a time. you can store them with the kindling for your fireplace. you could prolly store it outside.
anyhow, it burns slowly and steadily, just right for getting a fire going, it doesn't involve liquid fuels, stores well, yadda yadda....
    Bridger
The planer is the Dewalt. I had a long board and like an idiot I cut it into numerous 12" lenghths instead of planing the whole board first. I think the continuous feed idea will fix the problem this time, but I wish I could get the thing adjusted properly. I tried it but made it worse. The tables angle up slightly so if the outer tips are in the same plane with each other and the same plane with the planer base, there is a slight drop off between the base and tables. Because of the slight upward slope of the tables, if I put a straightedge across them, the straightedge doesnt touch the base unless I apply pressure downward which flexes the tables down slightly. Am I supposed to raise the tables enough so that they are in the same plane where the tabls and base meet? Because if so, then the outer edge of the tables will be higher than the base because they slope upward (I hope Im describing this correctly). Thanks guys.