Delta TP400LS Snipe

This "Virtually Snipeless" planer is sniping like a @#&^*%. I've tried extra outfeed supports and aligning the built in infeed and outfeed tables. Aside from getting NASA engineers down here to align this thing, what's the trick?

Reply to
Bill

What are you trying to plane? How are you trying to plane it? Are the knives clean? Are the knives sharp?

For example, I've heard of people getting good results when the infeed and outfeed tables are at a slight upward angle in relationship to the planer tray below the cutters.

You may also have some sap in the knives.

Reply to
gabriel

... Or you may be trying to take off too much in one pass, or the wood in questions is specially knotty/figured and you have to take off much less on each pass, etc...

So tell us more!

Reply to
gabriel

I had a similar problem with my planer (different brand). I ended up putting paste wax on the entire feeding surface. This worked like a charm. It turned out I had a little sap residue making the wood bind just enough to cause snipe.

Reply to
Rob-J

New blades, pine and poplar today, has also done it on oak. I have inverted and reversed the boards to see if grain was the problem

It's the last 2 inches or so on the side opposite the cutting head lock. Everytime.

Reply to
Bill

Try lifting up the end of the board slightly as the board exits the planer.

Nova

Bill,

I'll do a little shilling for John Lucas and his site

. Look here
which shows the "carrier" he's using on his planer. There is an article about what he did to reduce/eliminate snipe someplace on his site and I can't find it right now, but the url I gave you shows a picture of it. Maybe if John is lurking about he can provide a link for that article.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.