Snipe on DW735

Hello group - just yesterday I used the DW735 for the first time and am battling the snipes at the moment. I purchased the add-on infeed and outfeed tables for the 735, as well as the stand. I started with a 3/4"x6"x2' piece of cedar removing 1/16" on the dimensioning speed. After seeing that the add-on tables needed to be adjusted I continued running test pieces of wood - each with varying results, but snipe was always visible. My main stock was a bunch of 2x8x6 pine (the $175 workbench plan). Those were cut in half from their orginal 12' length for ease of handling. I pretty much kept it to 1/16" and each each time there were snipe 3" from both ends. I added a roller about 3' behind the outfeed table and that seemed to reduce the severity of the snipe on the trailing end of the stock, but the leading end was still getting hit. I ended running about 10 pieces of the pine stock (60') trying different techniques, fine-tunin the feed tables, raising the rolling a little on the egress side (seemed to help some), etc... I even stood on one leg and danced in a circle around the planer, but, alas, there was still snipe.

After all of this it left me wondering about my DW735. I understand what causes snipe. I also understand part of the snipe is due to technique as well as maybe some bows in this stock. However, the manual supplied with the DW735 doesn't go into detail about snipe, just a paragraph (3 paragraphs if you can read multiple languages ;-) ) I never imagined the high-dollar portable would be so touchy. One person here reported shimming but that doesn't seem feasible. Am I being unrealistic in the expectations of this machine? I'd prefer not to waste 6 inches of stock every time I have to plane, nor sand them all out.

Anybody have some tips and suggestions about the 735 relating to snipe?

-Cliff

PS. The exhaust port on these things probably could power a hovercraft :)

Reply to
John Smith

Hi,

There must be a problem with the planer, I don't have the infeed tables nor do I use rollers, I manually take the stock in and out of the planer. I planed Cedar, red Oak, pine.

Sometimes when I mishandle the board I get measureable snipes, but otherwise it's simply invisible.

Did you measure the snipes. How bad is it?

I bought this planer after seeing it in action at the Ottawa woodshow last year, (no snipe)

The question might sound strange, but is the stock straight on the bottom face.

"John Smith" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Yves

When all else fails, slightly lift the back end of the board off the in feed table until the planer has pulled it through for 8 or 10 inches, THEN, slightly lift the other end up off the out feed table as the last foot or so passes through the planer.

Reply to
Leon

I have the same model I bought at Woodcraft when they had them on sale last year. I don't have the stand or extra tables but I did figure out to hold the board up just a hair on the outfeed side helps eliminate snipe. Most of what I've run through it beside a little pine has been sawmill red oak, anywhere from 8-10 ft long and 6sh wide. If I dont hold it up a little on the outfeed I get the snipe.

Reply to
Mike S.

I have had the same planner for about 3 months now, bought it the same way, infeed/outfeed tables, dust bag, and stand. It has been dead on since I took it out of the box. Beats my old Delta 12" by a long shot. I have run, pine, walnut and a ton of 12" wide 5/4 oak without any noticeable snipe. For long stock (6 to 8 feet) I will put a roller stand on either end to ensure consistancy. Have you called Dewalt yet? I had to call them about a bad fence on my TS and they were great about getting the issue resolved. They may even have an area rep that could look at it.

-Marcus

Reply to
marcus