Sliding closet door hardware...

Hi all,
I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail. But I need to see some real hardware to decide on the final design. Can anybody point me to the needed hardware?
Thanks in advance Sammy
"SammyBar" wrote in message

IME, you'll likely live to regret that decision ... double folding doors in closets are much preferred by most home buyers/owners over the long haul, and maintenance and cleaning are nil.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Sliding%20Door%20Hardware
SammyBar wrote:

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value...
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks anyway

the hardware from FEVRECO DOOR PRODUCTS. Their website can be found at http://jhus.com/search.asp
I tried to fine what I needed at a couple of local home centers, but they did not carry anything in a 96" length, nor did they have the triple track that I wanted.
You may not need the length or number of tracks, but this company also carries shorter track lengths and simple bypass as well.
I am very pleased with the track, rollers and the guide hardware that came in the kit I purchased.
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

If yours is the common 8' opening you will find economical hardware at the Big Box stores. The bottom guide is a flat bottomed 'W' shape made of plastic and is not marring and self lubricating, as it were.

Seems everyone has given you the links to the most common hardware. The bottom guides are all made about the same with just plastic fingers to guide the doors. We normally have to install the bottom guides on top of a block if the doors are over carpet. Also, if you use a standard height jam, you may need to cut the doors to length. This is dependant on the hardware so you're correct to find that first.
You should be able to find the most common bi-pass hardware (probably Stanley) at your local lumber yard.
I have to agree with Swingman that bifolds are much more common although some people still prefer a bi-pass. I prefer the bi-fold just because access to the closet is better. With a 2 door bi-pass you always lose access to half of the closet. Actually a little more because we overlap the doors by 1 inch. With a bifold you lose the width of the folded doors (plus clearances) but that amount stays the same whether it's a 4' opening or a 6' opening.
Mike O.

Replacing a bad bifold door is on my Honeydew list, and I'd been thinking, "Why a bifold? Instead of a 36" bifold, why not two 18" doors -- then you could hang can shelves, brackets for brooms, etc., on the back of the doors and maximize your use of the closet space. I know I can't use one big door, because it would block the hallway at the pantry, but why not two small center-opening doors? But every pantry I've recalled seeing has the louvered bifold doors.
What's to keep me from replacing the bifold with two narrow louvered doors, provided the installation is properly plumbed? Regards

It's a little more work but double doors should work fine on a pantry. Any opening for that matter but in a lot of bedrooms a larger closet with double doors will often conflict with furniture.
Mike O.
Check in alt.home.repair too. Good info there sometimes.