Shop Question

Page 2 of 2

That's exactly what I did. 1 car part is separated from the 2 car one with a real wall and airconditioned. It hosts my metallworking shop (vertical mill, lathe and lot of other stuff.)
Unfortunately enough my woodworking stuff does not fit there so now it takes the rest -- that 2 car partition. Temporarily, until we have that house remodelling finished. That's what my wife's thinking :)) I doubt that all those nice machines (jointer, planer, TS, router table, dust collector etc.) would leave any space for cars... And it also looks like my family is no longer all that sure that cars do belong in the garage :))
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
I actually want to do something similar, but not quite as anal retentive. My walkout basement shop must also share space with the lawn tractor, tiller, pressure washer, garden tools, and the like. I would like to hide all those things behind something to keep the dust down. I don't believe a half inch of saw dust on top of a tractor engine is good for it and it's a PITA to blow it off all the time with the air compressor. I am thinking of walling off a section of the basement and installing "sliding barn doors". What's behind the doors is out of sight, out of mind. In the shop itself, there will be lots of cabinets and drawers for hand and power tools, etc... Things like the grinder, drill press, and the like will stay out in the open. Basically, my shop will be "neat" when I need it to be, but I have no problem leaving it cluttered during the course of a project. I just started the construction recently and expect it to take a while.
Bob

My walk out doesn't share space with lawnmowers, etc., but with other stuff in storage, and what I did was frame out a wall between the shop area (which is about 18 by 40) and a "storage" area which also includes the furnace and hot water heater and covered the wall with 1/2" CDX ply. I sheetrocked off the stairs and put in a few doors I salvaged from a neighbor. No dust gets into the stairway, or the storage area. I built some lumber storage racks in the storage area and keep my wood over there. Works for me. Mutt.
..

Only advice I have is to find a different hobby. My shop is cluttered. If looking at it when I got home from work upset me, I'd start doing needlepoint instead. My shop is a place I can do what I want, work or not work, tackle a big a project or sweep the dust instead. To me, the shop is an inviting place, not a cause of anxiety.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

A countertop/worktop, with cabinets underneath. In the cabinets have a lot of drawers with labels. I find drawers with labels extremely valuable in my shop. 95% of my tools and assorted hardware have a dedicated place to be stored. I can put everything away in less than 5 minutes after a project, and sometimes do during a project just to get myself reorganized. I go right to the tools I need when I need them. Drawers-would not be with-out them. Wayne, Columbia MD
wrote in message

mine's spotless.... or at least I don't think there are any spots under the shavings...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Hedley (in WvOdnTM snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com) said:
| I can almost picture it in my head, and have Visio'ed a few | designs, but I get this sinking feeling it's a bad idea. Has | anyone done something similar? As in, could someone walk into your | garage/basement/spare bedroom shop that has been "put away" and | have a hard time recognizing it as such?
Make concealed storage for the smaller stuff - perhaps even the benchtop tools, but plan on leaving the larger tools where you use 'em because that's where they'll end up anyway - and if you force yourself to move them whenever you need them, it'll become so much of a hassle that you'll use 'em less and less often until they don't get used at all...
It's difficult to suggest more without knowing what kind of stuff you plan to do in your shop.
1. Buy a lathe 2. Load extra large chunk of firewood into lathe 3. Turn until it resembles a stick 4. Beat some sense into SWMBO 5. When she comes to her senses, hand her the stick and have her beat you senseless, TWICE. 6. In a year or two, when you can't find the lathe for the shavings, shovel them out until you can see the top of it like the rest of us do.
Geez, I finally agree with Frito. We need a moderator. The Wreck has to have some standards. Imagine! Parking cars inside the shop! You and your wife definitely have something wrong with you, "Hedley". Threads like this just simply cannot be tolerated.
(BTW-I think I was just reading one of your other archived posts on a certain WW web archive site a couple of nights ago. Nice job.)
Regards, Roy

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:28:54 -0500, "Hedley"

Have a look at:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00088.asp
You need not cram everything in as much as that, the main thing is that when it's closed everything is hidden, when it's open everything is as accessible as if it were on peg board.

Now you're just being silly. How big is this garage that you can throw away that much space?

No. Bad idea. This assures that when you might actually use some they will be a flight of stairs away from you. You'll just cut a bigger piece instead. Thus the scrap pile will only grow until it consumes the entire basement and any pets/small children that come near it. How bout taking the space for the 'TS garage' and using that to hide the scraps.

We have two long workbenchs that have all drawers/doors under them. In one lives most of the power tools. Behind the doors are the larger less often used tools that have cases. In some ways the drawers work great. There's one drawer where all the drills/bits etc live. One for the ROS and its discs. It's nice to have a place where all the related stuff is together and when you're done you can just shove everything back in and not have to worry about the cord getting tangled up with other stuff. But on the other hand it often takes longer to take out and put back the stuff than it does to use it, and as a result in the middle of a project it doesn't go back in. And I'm always in the middle of a project...
Some people mentioned putting up a wall, a curtain is another option. I have a couple hooks that I can hang two shower curtains up with to split the shop in two when I'm working on gifts for the family. They let the light through but everything is just a blur. Unless you can complete all your projects in one day, at some points you're not going to be able to put everything away.
-Leuf
Consider a version of this:
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0201
and even a version of this:
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0313
and to hide the rest:
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0106
The major tools can be shifted to a wall with mobile bases.
In theory, you can hide them all behind a wall with drop down panels on hinges.
Putting tools "in" cabinets is an excellent idea.
Hedley wrote:
I'm afraid the BOSS would have increased anxiety levels

Let us not forget the old 'mini lathe in the fold-down ironing board" trick...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I kind of like the shop hutch idea, but I can't seem to make out what gets stored in the upper cabinet...can't be just boxes of nails and screws? I especially liked the adaption of a miter station and hutch.
John

Thank you all for the input. Now I have to go do my nails...