how to create decorative stones walkway

Hi,

I'm planning to create a walkway in my garden using the decorative stones (small pebbles, etc).

I got myself the hand tamper to smooth and compact the soil, which is working but really back breaking.

Anyways, my question is: initially I was thinking of creating a 3 inch concrete on top of the soil and then putting any stones to create walkway.

But now I'm thinking if its possible to just put lot of weedkillers on soil before covering the soil with landscape fabric and then any decorative stones, that will save me not putting any concrete at all.

Can anyone advice if it will work or is it still better to use concrete instead before proceeding.

I'm also thinking of creating a concrete retaining wall (approx. 45cm high) as my garden is bit uneven (slopy). This wall will be just next to the walkway. On the other side of the wall I'll level and planning to turf.

Thanks in advance.

RK

Reply to
RK77

You want him Kate?

Think I'd just shoot him, and save myself the grief.

Reply to
Billy

I don't think I'll be much help, not being a fan of concrete or weedkillers.

Anyway, others can explain it better but you could use newspaper or cardboard to smother the weeds, then either put your stones down or perhaps just mulch.

Enjoy your garden!

Kate - it's planting season and I'm achy!

Reply to
kate

This is a job for Pavers Person!

brooklyn1

Please no weed killers, our waters are polluted enough allready. As Kate says newpapers are great. 20 sheets laid flat and sprinkled with water so they will sort of "adhere" to the ground and then covered with your rock/ pebbles will last for a very long time. YEARS if it doesn't get water on it all the time and just years if it gets wet a lot.

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca