Lam flooring: Listen not to goofy neighborhood contractors

We just picked up about 500 sq ft of Unibord laminate flooring to finish off the basement and had our friendly neighborhood jack of all trades contractor try to get us to install it that day because it suited his schedule. He said, "I've put 'em down fresh out of the box, no problem. Warm store, warm van to carry it home, warm room in your house. Same thing, pretty much."

Yeah. And "pretty much" will screw you every time, too.

I've watched the little 10-minute VHS tape that comes in the Uniboard kits some time ago when it was sitting in my friend's video bin after he installed his flooring, and Uniboard recommends that the plastic on each bundle of board be opened and the bundles left to become acclimated to your room(s) for at least 48 hours. So we told our contractor dude that we'll be following the manufacturer recommendations, thankyouverymuch. He wasn't happy because he had to go scratching for something else to do somewhere else for 2 days, but f*ck him, it's our house.

Likewise, I've seen a few of those DIY TV shows where the DIY'ers didn't leave the bundles to set and -- surprise! -- they couldn't get the planks to fit together properly.

Lesson #1 when it comes to any DIY project: Manufacturers include instruction sheets for a reason. Read 'em and follow 'em. 'Nuff said.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

On a given day, he MAY be correct, but you just don't know. It could have been delivered to the store that morning after sitting in a trailer at 2 degrees in the winter or 120 degrees in the summer.

Always better to wait. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Always better to wait. Ed

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

I thought laminate flooring ... being a totally artificial product (no wood) .. didn't suffer from expansion and contraction movement. Or if it did it is so minimal it can be ignored.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lewis

The shrink wrap,ensures the the products relative humidty is 6% or less so your dipshiyt neighbour is Right that makes you a paranoid dipshit? Click together laminate is able to move unlike glue together so worry not by the way you got a big investment there not like a REAL FLOOR say BRUCE or HARTCO

Reply to
HARDKEN

Shrink wrap is not" hermeticaly sealing". Thats why Pergo which comes plastic wraped states to open cartons and let them aclimatise for several days. Another Hardken mistake. mr T

Reply to
Toney Ransley