Shop Question

Page 1 of 2

I'm about to endeavor to create a wwshop (Contractors TS, bench tools, and hand tools only) in the third bay of a 3 car garage, but I don't really want it to look like a shop (dusty tools everywhere, cords showing, scraps all over the place). I'm afraid the BOSS would have increased anxiety levels should the third bay look cluttered all the time, and I really don't need her any more anxious than she already is. I could deal with it, but let's just say I'd rather not. And I have to admit, not having to look at clutter as I pull into the garage when arriving home after a long day at the orifice has some appeal to me as well. Anal-retentive is not quite my (our) descriptor, but it's pretty darn close.
My idea, naive as it may be, is to have doors on everything, with upper and lower cabinets running the length of two walls to contain everything. No exposed peg board for hanging tools, no racks for clamps, no visible bench or hand tools, and no visible shelves. I'm even considering a hiding place for the TS. Yes, aesthetics over convenience, or Style over Substance. Foolish, yes, but I want to make the effort. And I'm not too concerned with taking the time to drag everything out when I'm on a project.
My idea is to build plywood cabinets (sanded pine from the BORG) with pine trim, and making a wheeled 8' bench with lower doors to nestle between the fixed cabinets. Flip-top lower cabinets for bench tools to hide them underneath for the time not in use. The inevitable scraps in the basement, where it sure to cluttered as hell anyway(out of sight, out of mind). And I'd like to have it all automated, with a remote control to retract all the doors... nah, just kidding about the remote part.
I can almost picture it in my head, and have Visio'ed a few designs, but I get this sinking feeling it's a bad idea. Has anyone done something similar? As in, could someone walk into your garage/basement/spare bedroom shop that has been "put away" and have a hard time recognizing it as such?
Thank you for your collective wisdom, and I've got thick skin, so call me stupid if you think it appropriate.
Hedley --And let's please all remember to binge in moderation.

Sounds great, as long as you won't actually be using it.

Cars live outside!!!!
When I bought our new home with a garage, the garage became a workshop. We have NO "garage".

SNIP
Did I mention the winters around Chicago? Demonic.
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:46:23 -0500, "Hedley"

Harrumph! I spent 26 adult years in Chicagoland. Cars are still waterproof. Moreover, I'd rather have a car in a garage in Florida, where we don't have huge chunks of salt laden hard pack falling off the car in the garage and accelarating corrosion, than leave it out in Illinois, where you do.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:46:23 -0500, "Hedley"

How about the winters around Whitehorse? But we have been having an unusual October, no snow fall yet this year. Cars belong outside, that's why they're painted so well, like Charlie Self says.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

With a proviso: I've been shooting a lot of antique/vintage cars for articles these days, and you do NOT park those babies outside. That $445 Model A in top notch restored condition may be worth 30K today, but only if the paint is in perfect AACA Grand National Award condition, while that $150,000 Cord will lose value as well as luster if left outdoors, as will the '34 Jag SS1 (museum condition, first year of first model with Jaguar nameplate. Value? You guess, cause I'm afraid to).
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

They're automobiles, not cars ... and they're housed in temples, not garages.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05

I can relate... I have 5 Corvettes and a Chevelle parked in my garages...which forced me to move my shop upstairs over the one garage.... a Shop on the second floor is NOT great but it works especially when I "have" to have the cars parked inside a locked, secure area or my "car" Insurance is voided...
My Truck (my daily driver )and my wives van are parked on the driveway 24/7 ...only time they ever enter one of the garages is to put them up on the lift for maintance...
Shame I had to move the shop...BUT a guy has to do what a Guy has to do... too many hobbies, not enough land...
Bob G.

I apologize, I just can't help myself. I read the above remark and got this picture.
Uhhhhhh..........., Bob, just how many wives do you have??
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:09:35 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

...and why do they all have to use the same van. Spring for at least one vehicle for every two to three wives.....;-)
... and why is he putting his wives on the lift? Never mind, I don't want to know.
brian

methinks that if I had that stable of cheby iron, I could afford a secured storage unit for them... just think of the shop that could be set up in the space 3 or 4 of them are taking up.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I live in chicago. I have a three car garage with no cars in it. :-)
brian

Are you sure you want to risk a broken finger nail? Stay with knitting and let your husband play in the garage. :-) Ed
Good luck! Tom
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:28:54 -0500, "Hedley"

not stoopid at all. stuff out in the open gathers dust. make lots of flat drawers for the small tools. make about twice as many drawers as you think you'll need.
think of it this way: the process of making your shop furniture will teach you a lot about how to do it, how to use the space you're in and what tools you need.
go for it.
Hedley wrote:

A simple solution to a complex problem. Run a dividing wall between the "Shop" bay and the other 2. Keep the door shut, all's clean and neat. ;) regards John
John B wrote:

My definition between the shop and the cars is called a "garage door". No cars in the shop, no problem. That said, LOML's car is parked in part of the shop.     blush,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

The (Garage) shed, is my domain, my shit and spread where ever I want it. Most of the time not where I can find it. :) My old ute and the other half's sedan live in carports. Couldn't, get a car in the shed if I wanted to. ;) regards John