sharpening wheel marking gauges

Does anyone have a method for sharpening wheel marking gauges. The type that Lee valley sells. There is a small disk,about half the diameter of a dime that marks the wood. Mine is so dull its difficult to make a mark. I'd appreciate the tip.
Don
On 3 Dec 2004 15:08:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (sr_wood) wrote:

on a sharpening stone. the diamond grit on steel type work well as long as the surface is not one of the ones with holes in it.
the stroke is a kind of diagonal swipe. you want the wheel to keep turning, the edge to remain at a constant angle to the stone and the edge to advance at more or less right angles across the surface. takes some practise, but works well. can also be used for roller wheel glass cutters.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in (sr_wood) wrote:

Or just buy new disk(s) from LV? They are not that expensive, and it'd be a good excuse to order more stuff anyway.
Regards, JT
John Thomas wrote:

Do they have any for my old Stanley #98?
--
Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.

Lay it, flat side down, on a sharening stone and slide it around in figure eight patterns. Worked for mine.

Great info. Thanks, I'm sure I'll end up doing all of these things including purchasing a new disk when I screw it up.

Just stick it in a drill or drill press and use the appropriate abrasive. Shouldn't take you more than a minute to get a scary sharp edge.