Makita Sharpening Water Wheel

Howdy,

Were you using it wet?

I would suggest removing the wheel from the grinder, and soaking it for an hour or so. Then put it back into the machine and try again.

The uneven surface should not matter if you properly use the guide for the tool. For a while you may get a pulsating contact with the surface your are grinding, but these wheels abrade rather quickly and I would expect that the high spots would even out in a few minutes of use.

HTH,

Reply to
Kenneth

I seem to have put a glaze on one of the 120 grit green carbide wheels for the above after using it for as few moments. Does anyone know what one needs to do to remove the glaze and restore it to the correct condition? I picked up this wheel at a garage sale so I don't know how the previous owner treated it if at all. The surface is also slightly uneven also.

Reply to
Mike

it's not hard to do with that wheel. it clogs up after each use. I used a multi diamond truing bar to scratch it and open it up. they cost about 40.00 and are great for truing grinding wheels. the best solution is to make sure it is flat and put on psa 80 grit zirconia paper. that works far better and lasts maybe 20 plane irons. (use without water)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Not sure if this would work on wet wheels but might on dry wheels. Back in my jewerlry making days I'd rub blackboard chalk on my files. The chalk would load up the bottom of the file's teeth, preventing metal from packing down in the tight corners where it was hard to get out with a wire file cleaner. Didn't affect the file's cutting - just made it easy to clean when it got loaded up with filings. Might work on dry grinders. Anyonw adventurous?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b