Makita Wet Wheel Sharpener

Dear Group, Can anyone tell me the difference between the Makita 9820-2 and the G2017 sharpener. Amazon lists both with the G2017 higher priced. I can't discern any difference between them. Same machine...new model? Why would anyone buy the new on if there is no difference except a new price? The 9820-2 can be had for under $200 with the $25.00 of deal. Not a bad buy!

Reply to
MrMortise

You notice that the "G" ships from Grizzly?

I've got the -2, and it's paid its way over and over again.

Reply to
George

I'ved been thinking about this purchase as well and am about to pull the trigger. The grizzly ships from grizzly, and you pay shipping. Amazon does not charge shipping. Thats the difference. By the way, Highland Hardware has a package deal with a jig and a 120 grit wheel, and they throw in some chisels, for $315 or so, plus shipping. I don't think that that is the best deal for me, but they have a really neat set of instructions for using the machine that are well worth downloading.

Bigger issue, my 'puter shows Amazon's price at $265, less the $25 is $240. What price do you show and do you have a different link to that better price?

Mutt

Reply to
biggmutt53

they are both the same grizzly has been one of the few that has been selling the machine for a long time. don't waste your money on the course wheel it clogs way to fast and they cuts really slow. myself I use a flat lap on it with sandpaper. I can get 80 or 120 zirconia PSA disc with a hole in the center for about 2.00 each. I get 40 or more plane irons ground on one sheet. I have worn out several wheels over the years. even the worlds first and only shapton stone for the makita. all of them have always worn the same way. I don't know if it is the machine or that I free hand everything. but all of the stones get a hump on one side of the wheel. it is almost impossible to get rid of the hump too. even the shapton stone does this though it took far longer to do so. also I have found that even if the wheel is really flat when it is about 2/3 worn it tends to cut the middle faster then the edges so you have to work harder on your stones. sandpaper has pretty much eliminated this. flattening the wheels is a chore anyway even with a diamond lap that covers the whole wheel.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Steve, using sandpaper why not buy the LV MK?

kees

Reply to
kees

why when I have three makita's.the LV is new and I have been using them makita's for over 5 years now. when they die I will think about it (G) but I have shaped and sharpened thousands of blades on them so far and they work exactly the same. .

Reply to
Steve Knight

Dear Mutt, Well.....I fwell asleep at the wheel again. Yesterday, when i wrote this post the Amazon price for the 9829-2 was $223. I see it back up to $279 again. I snooze.....I lose!

Reply to
MrMortise

Sorry for not contributing to this thread earlier, just getting back to woodworking after a 10 year hiatus.

Now to the point, I retrofitted my Makita to accept diamond wheels (which, as I am sure you know) are available in many many grit selections. I have had very good success with them. I was also able to get flat platens for the Malta that could easily accept PSA abrasives, although I attached leather to mine and created an awesome power strop.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Pinn

I tried diamond laps and yes they worked but they wear so fast it is not cost effective. they lasted about as long as good zirconia discs do. but at atleast

10 times the cost.
Reply to
Steve Knight