Sharing photos from lighting experiment

Yes. Now go do it. No more analysis.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Your scanner must have a Yuppie interface, painted wall still clean.

Reply to
Leon

Truth! But it's a truth I've yet to convince customers on. (I'm just glad I don't do much painting.)

One-coat alkyd? Amazing. What color? Over a white base, or did you tint the primer? I've gotta start doing that.

Our local home improvement store is now selling P&L. I'll have to give it a try next time. One client is sold on Miller AcryLite exterior house paint, and I now love it after using some on his rental unit.

Back to Bill: PAINT THE SHOP PURE WHITE. NO TINTS, NO COLOR. OK?

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's within 3% of the same gloss, so either works. Both are very wipable and dust-free.

Pure white walls, got it? ;)

Whoa! That's now your shop. It's time to put your foot down and get all that crap which isn't woodwork-related outta there!

Then it was a dear trail instead.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I learned there are 4 kinds: flat, eggshell, satin and semigloss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not quite accurate, with the 4 kinds.

Eggshell is a color of paint; just an off white. It can be purchased in flat semigloss and gloss.

In wall and trim types of paint, flat is usually used for walls, with semigloss often chosen for the same room to be used on the trim. Flat does not reflect a point light source in a way that the point light can still be seen as a point. (like a light bulb)

Semigloss will reflect a point light source some, but will diffuse it some.

Gloss has a shine that will allow a person to see the point light reflected, almost like a mirror or piece of glass.

Satin is a term usually used with clear finishes, and compares to flat. Semigloss is next, then gloss; all when talking about wood finishes.

I hope this is all what others remember, but I am not looking at product on the shelf as I write this, so I might be off some. Eggshell is definitely just an off shade of white, and is not a descriptor of the shine of the finish, at any rate.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Thank you for the lesson. I don't think I've ever applied "good" paint.

I did a lot of painting during 2 summers while in school, and I recall paying $6 to 8 a gallon at Sears, depending on whether it was on sale or not. I always used two coats, and it required 2 coats. I charged about $5/hr, and only for the time I was on-site, and had plenty of work. Minimum wage was about $3.35 so it seemed fair enough at the time to a "poor college student". I enjoyed trying to "master the skill", working in a business-like manner, and got to listen to the radio all day. I didn't advertise myself as a pro, but I think I gave people more than their moneys-worth. Word of mouth was on my side. Not bad memories.

Maybe there are unemployed people in this country who could find painting work if they applied themselves?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Paint the ceiling satin too, huh?

I DO think I'll go with WHITE as you so subtly suggested. Although I have brought any paint strips home. I suppose that makes the price of paint really go up, huh?

White should make a good canvas for my mural...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

LOL! :)

There are so many distractions at Menards.. By the time I get to where they keep the paint in the far corner, I hope I still remember. Maybe I should write it on my palm? I don't want people to think I'm racist though.. There, "pure white poles"--OOPS!

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Oh don't do that. You'll feel bad about covering it up with tools and wood. (You'll still do it anyway, having a working shop is more important than art.)

Mind if I e-mail you a picture? It's just a snapshot and not worth putting up on Usenet or the website.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

To tell you the trugh the better the paint the less of a chore it is in all aspects of the paint job. Better coverage so fewer paint strokes, better coverage so single coat applications, clean up is actually better and faster especially with oil based paints however that may have a lot to do with knowing the tricks of putting a bit of mineral spirits on the brush before dipping it in the paint and using the same to clean the brush. We only used thinner to thin the paint. And with the better paints, less mess from dripping or paint runs.

Actually it was white over a light blue. No primer, at the time it was stated that no primer was needed and to expect single coat coverage. However we did wipe every thing down with a "liquid sand paper" prior to painting.

Having said that, I used Sears Best Easy Living latex flat paint for the walls in our last house 7-8 years ago years ago. My son's room had black shoe marks on the wall under his desk where he did home work. Lots of "dark" black marks. The paint covered those marks immediately upon rolling the paint on and never to appear again. AFAIK Sherwin Williams still makes Sears paint. I did use Sherwin Williams Alkyd oil based enamel for all the doors and trim. One gallon did the whole house and again I bought their best paint.

I did some repainting of the exterior on the last house, always used Sears Best Life Time Guarantee Polyurethane exterior paint. That works real well too. But I noticed that at the time that they were stocking P&L paint. Questioning the paint guy at Sears he indicated that P&L had been bought out by Sherwin Williams. Not sure I would swear to that being factual or not myself but no reason to not believe it. It used to be that you could only find P&L at the stand alone "paint stores". I have only used P&L paint one time as I need to be sure that I got good coverage. I would suggest approaching with a bit of caution now that Sears and HD stock it, especially if it is being sold at a competitive price. It may not be the same as what it used to be quality wise and or there may now be different grades. Do a little research. When I bought I don't recall there being any choices as to what quality to choose from.

Reply to
Leon

Now that is what I left the same color, a light flat beige color. I did not want to go to that much trouble and most the light hitting the ceiling is blocked by the lamp base. All other light hitting the ceiling has already been reflected from some where else. I still have what my wife describes as the tit up landing zone.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah one of my buddies that used me to do the wood work repairs in the home he was always fixing up for a realtor got me into painting. We probably painted 40+ houses since 1998. The radio was necessary tool. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

flat semigloss and gloss.

Actually you are both correct, EggShell is a sheen and it is a color.

egg shell paint and you will get many references backing up both descriptions

Reply to
Leon

Leon, Leon, you've got to start trimming some of your posts. >150 lines of rhetoric in this message you just answered.

Reply to
Dave

I'm sure people figured out I meant to type "I haven't brought any paint strips home". Puck: send what ya got.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oops! Non-yuppie brainfart, but you led me on with the "creating lots of saw dust" statement, too. I accept only 1/2 the guilt.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes. And I used porch and floor paint (white) for my concrete floor, too. It's bright and beautiful when it's clean.

No, they usually gouge just as much for pure white as any color, even though many of the pigments -aren't- cheap.

Egad! I suppose we'll hear about every stroke made on that for several years... (Decades?)

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wrong. We know you too well to assume anything of the sort.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I won't ask. ;) But I think your ceiling would give you more light if you put a coat of white on it, Leon. Noticeable light.

Regarding your first sentence:

Q: What did the Jewish American Princess say while she was having sex?

A: Beige. I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am only adding a little, they should trim their posts. :~)

Ill try harder.

Reply to
Leon