Sharing photos from lighting experiment

Page 2 of 5
Larry Jaques wrote:

Paint the ceiling satin too, huh?
I DO think I'll go with WHITE as you so subtly suggested. Although I have brought any paint strips home. I suppose that makes the price of paint really go up, huh?
White should make a good canvas for my mural...
Bill

Oh don't do that. You'll feel bad about covering it up with tools and wood. (You'll still do it anyway, having a working shop is more important than art.)
Mind if I e-mail you a picture? It's just a snapshot and not worth putting up on Usenet or the website.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

I'm sure people figured out I meant to type "I haven't brought any paint strips home". Puck: send what ya got.
Bill

Wrong. We know you too well to assume anything of the sort. <snort>
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
On 8/4/2011 2:33 AM, Bill wrote:

Now that is what I left the same color, a light flat beige color. I did not want to go to that much trouble and most the light hitting the ceiling is blocked by the lamp base. All other light hitting the ceiling has already been reflected from some where else. I still have what my wife describes as the tit up landing zone.

I won't ask. ;) But I think your ceiling would give you more light if you put a coat of white on it, Leon. Noticeable light.
Regarding your first sentence:
Q: What did the Jewish American Princess say while she was having sex?
A: Beige. I think I'll paint the ceiling beige.
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
On 8/4/2011 11:26 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I suppose there could be more light but I have plenty and the effort was not worth my while.

Yes. And I used porch and floor paint (white) for my concrete floor, too. It's bright and beautiful when it's clean.

No, they usually gouge just as much for pure white as any color, even though many of the pigments -aren't- cheap.

Egad! I suppose we'll hear about every stroke made on that for several years... (Decades?) <chortle>
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
On 8/4/2011 12:39 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

To tell you the trugh the better the paint the less of a chore it is in all aspects of the paint job. Better coverage so fewer paint strokes, better coverage so single coat applications, clean up is actually better and faster especially with oil based paints however that may have a lot to do with knowing the tricks of putting a bit of mineral spirits on the brush before dipping it in the paint and using the same to clean the brush. We only used thinner to thin the paint. And with the better paints, less mess from dripping or paint runs.

Actually it was white over a light blue. No primer, at the time it was stated that no primer was needed and to expect single coat coverage. However we did wipe every thing down with a "liquid sand paper" prior to painting.
Having said that, I used Sears Best Easy Living latex flat paint for the walls in our last house 7-8 years ago years ago. My son's room had black shoe marks on the wall under his desk where he did home work. Lots of "dark" black marks. The paint covered those marks immediately upon rolling the paint on and never to appear again. AFAIK Sherwin Williams still makes Sears paint. I did use Sherwin Williams Alkyd oil based enamel for all the doors and trim. One gallon did the whole house and again I bought their best paint.

I did some repainting of the exterior on the last house, always used Sears Best Life Time Guarantee Polyurethane exterior paint. That works real well too. But I noticed that at the time that they were stocking P&L paint. Questioning the paint guy at Sears he indicated that P&L had been bought out by Sherwin Williams. Not sure I would swear to that being factual or not myself but no reason to not believe it. It used to be that you could only find P&L at the stand alone "paint stores". I have only used P&L paint one time as I need to be sure that I got good coverage. I would suggest approaching with a bit of caution now that Sears and HD stock it, especially if it is being sold at a competitive price. It may not be the same as what it used to be quality wise and or there may now be different grades. Do a little research. When I bought I don't recall there being any choices as to what quality to choose from.

I guess I haven't used enough of the good stuff to see any which give me a true single-coat coverage yet, darn it. I found Painter's Essentials brushes which are as good as Purdy but cost less than 1/2 the price. Unfortunately, I forgot where I bought them and can't find them locally any more. I love those things!

Yeah, I dip my brush in water and shake it out before painting with latex, too. I recently made a run to HD after seeing a paint roller and brush spinner for ten bucks. They stopped carrying those almost 4 years ago but they're still in the inventory. Grrrrrr!

Yeah, the better paints are almost a gel nowadays. I love it.

TSP equivalent?

Oh, sh*t. Poly in the house paint now? I'll bet that recoats nicely. NOT.

Fact. 1995 http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-17547696.html
OMG! Look at the weird SW line:
--snip-- Sherwin-Williams Paints
The Paint Stores Segment, known as Sherwin-Williams Paints, was the first section of the company to be established, in 1866. These stores market and sell Sherwin-Williams branded architectural paints and coatings, industrial and marine products, and original equipment manufacturer product finishes and similar items. As of January 1, 2011 the Paint Stores segment operated 3,954 individual paint stores. The Consumer segment develops, manufactures, and distributes various paints, coatings, and related products to third party customers and the Paint Stores segment. Sherwin-Williams is the parent company of other brands such as Duron, M.A.B. Paints, Minwax, Krylon, Mautz Paint Co., Purdy, Bestt Liebco, Thompson's WaterSeal, H&C, Pratt & Lambert, Martin Senour, Dutch Boy, Easy Living, Weatherbeater, and on August 28, 2007 Sherwin Williams purchased Columbia Paint & Coatings. In 2007, the company introduced its first "Idea Center" in Shaker Heights, Ohio, in an effort to provide customers with an interior design environment as contrasted with its conventional paint stores --snip--
On 8/4/2011 2:55 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> wrote >> >> To tell you the trugh the better the paint the less of a chore it is in >> all aspects of the paint job. Better coverage so fewer paint strokes, >> better coverage so single coat applications, > > I guess I haven't used enough of the good stuff to see any which give > me a true single-coat coverage yet, darn it. I found Painter's > Essentials brushes which are as good as Purdy but cost less than 1/2 > the price. Unfortunately, I forgot where I bought them and can't find > them locally any more. I love those things! >
I have several Purdy but have been switching over to Wooster brushes, Lowe's caries them along with most better hardware and paint stores. Considerably less expensive and just as good IMHO. Wooster also makes those better quality foam brushes that I am always mentioning when applying general finishes Arm-R-Seal.
> >> clean up is actually better >> and faster especially with oil based paints however that may have a lot >> to do with knowing the tricks of putting a bit of mineral spirits on the >> brush before dipping it in the paint and using the same to clean the > > Yeah, I dip my brush in water and shake it out before painting with > latex, too. I recently made a run to HD after seeing a paint roller > and brush spinner for ten bucks. They stopped carrying those almost 4 > years ago but they're still in the inventory. Grrrrrr! > > >> brush. We only used thinner to thin the paint. And with the better >> paints, less mess from dripping or paint runs. > > Yeah, the better paints are almost a gel nowadays. I love it.
Actually Gliddin way back when,,1972 had a gel type paint. A friend that ran a Glidden store open up a can, scooped some paint out with a putty knife, sliced it up and put it on a plate with crackers. He had to keep a close eye on anyone wanting to sample the paint and crackers. I have never seen a paint since that was that thick.

I love Wooster's little ShortCut brushes. I tend to choke up on the handle anyway.

I'll bet he missed a couple and they got a real lesson in taste! <g>
-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
On 8/4/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Paint brushes have a handle? :~) My fingers are generally in touch with the ferrel?

Where do you think the "acquired" taste for (______) cheese came from.
"Leon" wrote:

--------------------------------- The folks who work at "The Brush" in my old home town certainly appreciate your support.
Lew
On 8/4/2011 9:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Which brand brush Lew, and they certainly deserve my support, both brands are the top IMHO.
"Leon" wrote:

--------------------------------------- The Wooster Brush Company, Wooster, Ohio.
Lew
On 8/5/2011 12:50 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ahhh glad that is the one I look for first.
Oddly I have not seen that cancer warning label on them yet. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Thank you for the lesson. I don't think I've ever applied "good" paint.
I did a lot of painting during 2 summers while in school, and I recall paying $6 to 8 a gallon at Sears, depending on whether it was on sale or not. I always used two coats, and it required 2 coats. I charged about $5/hr, and only for the time I was on-site, and had plenty of work. Minimum wage was about $3.35 so it seemed fair enough at the time to a "poor college student". I enjoyed trying to "master the skill", working in a business-like manner, and got to listen to the radio all day. I didn't advertise myself as a pro, but I think I gave people more than their moneys-worth. Word of mouth was on my side. Not bad memories.
Maybe there are unemployed people in this country who could find painting work if they applied themselves?
Bill
On 8/4/2011 1:06 AM, Bill wrote:

Yeah one of my buddies that used me to do the wood work repairs in the home he was always fixing up for a realtor got me into painting. We probably painted 40+ houses since 1998. The radio was necessary tool. ;~)

Leon, Leon, you've got to start trimming some of your posts. >150 lines of rhetoric in this message you just answered.