Win10 Sharing.

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Welcome to Win 10.

Reply to
newshound

+1. I could browse to all my shares a while back, then I couldn't, then could for a few days and now not. So I have to map drives using the ip address.

I have tried a few things but with no improvement, inc running a tool that showed all the browse masters and demoting all the ones where it wasn't appropriate.

It even seems to have screwed up my shares on XP that have been ok for years ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have you tried that?

Which version of Win10?

Reply to
GB

Win7 had SMB 1.0 enabled by default. For Windows 10 it is disabled by default due to vulnerabilities.

To enable in Win 10 Open Control Panel Click on Programs Click on Turn Windows features on or off link Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option Click OK and restart

This may resolve your issue.

Reply to
Fredxx

"In this Windows 10 guide, we'll walk you through the steps to set up and manage a HomeGroup to share resources with other users on your local network."

Homegroup was removed from Windows 10 Version 1803. Version 1803. 1803 reached end of service in 2019.

Reply to
Robin

Which can be interpreted a couple of ways.

1) zero length password, to thwart prompts 2) Netplwiz and tick box, to autolog

I don't think Windows 10 particularly likes (1) when it comes to file sharing.

And that trait may have been shared with other modern versions of Windows.

Win10 also prompts for username:password, in situations where before it was not necessary.

Some of the older stuff, is much easier.

Homegroups are deprecated on modern Win10. (The panel for setting up a new homegroup might be missing.)

Homegroups used a total of seven services (plus ipv6). Two of the services are still used, and they have the word "Function" as the first word in their name. They have something to do with nameserving (NetBIOS ?). if they're not running, you might have to use an IP address

\\bob\mydiskdrive Two "function" services running. Translates bob to 192.168.1.2

\\192.168.1.2\mydiskdrive Two "function" services not running. Mentioning bob would not work. Use IP.

You can enter identifiers like that, in the File Explorer box.

Turning on SMBV1 in Win10 Programs and Features : Windows Features, enables sharing with WinXP. WinXP actually has a patch available for the SMBV1 issue. But there are likely other problems with it, like weak minimum crypto.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I frequently get the problem of 3 win10 PC's not sharing. Usually this is solved for a while by going to: PC Settings>Network & Internet>Status>Network reset. After restart an option comes up to file share with other computers. I always click on yes. Problem solved until next time.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

So, you reckon that wasn't such a helpful recommendation then? ;-)

I just remember, on my network, that we had some windows home and some windows pro PCs. The two lots talked nicely among each other, but home wouldn't talk to pro, and vv. Turned out to be to do with homegroup being the default network for win home, and workgroup being the default for pro. I'm pleased to hear that that particular pitfall has been removed.

Reply to
GB

It's part of the 7 point answer I found via Google.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It could be worse. You might have a WD My Cloud storage device and upgraded to their new 'improved' OS 5.

Reply to
Andrew

I was something I had to do recently so I could see my NAS drive.

Reply to
Fredxx

This ,by far, has always been the most secure way.

Reply to
bilou

Don't ask me how but I have my Win10 Pro, Win10 Home, Android and Win XP all able to see eachother over the network. Well Android can see the computers, not vice versa.

Some things became easier when I understood I didn't need Workgroups any more.

I have shortcuts so for instance the Win10 Home shared folder is \\Pavilion\MyFiles

On the whole I've created my own folder structure from Root and don't generally use Windows' directories.

Diagnostics were made easier when I used AngryIP scanner, and then the option to browse and IP.

It wasn't all as simple as I may seem to have made out but I don't know what I did to get everything working. Playing with Master Browser I don't think helped.

Reply to
AnthonyL

You only need SMBv1 if talking to WinXP or earlier, or ancient versions of SAMBA.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oddly, it's all working as it should be today. Without me doing anything other than checking settings by the booklet I printed out.

There are three Win10 machines. And a fairly cheap Acer notebook that struggles to run Win 7 starter - yet it seems to talk to all the others OK. The BT router is set to use the same IP addresses.

The problem always seems to be between this PC which is cabled and the ones on Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi ones usually talk to one another OK. And this PC, on a cable, is the highest spec one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It was even easer with xp. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Sometimes it just needs time. But a few days ago I ceased to able to see the shared folder on my NAS boxes on my Win10 PC. Then I powered one of the NAS boxes down to relocate in the loft, out of sight (part of my back up strategy), and its share folder came back into view. So I powered the others off for a few minutes, and their shared folders reappeared when they came back on line.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its not obvious what folder are on what computer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's been a feature of windows since at least XP. It randomly 'loses' shares.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher