Win10 Sharing.

Probably the main reason you don't encounter this random shit on 'proper' networks, is that the domain controllers are always on, and get extra votes in the subnet master browser elections, so they will always be "it", rather than random computers going to sleep, rebooting, turning back on again all the time, so constant changes of what knows about what.

Additionally they act as internal DNS/WINS servers, but I think it's the browse lists that help most.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data, also a doddle with linux

Reply to
Andrew

Is what Microsoft updates excels at

Reply to
Mark

yup

been 100% linux apart from a VM since 2004. No viruses, no data loss,. Nada.

If wrecking a computer and losing all its data were common, I dont think it would be everyone's choice for operating system on internet based servers.

People like IBM.

MS is the toy system along with macs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oddly, not something I've ever had a problem with. Do you unplug your computer while its updating?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You've not been around enough!

What was the recent one?

There've been some more recently.

Don't you remember Microsoft Notworks? Windows (ok older version) just hanging at around 3pm in offices because memory leaks used up all available RAM. Windows Update stopped SQL server from running - that was fun with an office full of people trying to run the office based SQL management system. Or was it the other way around, SQL server updated stopped Windows server? Doesn't matter really.

When was it they promised to start testing again before releasing updates?

How about the Win10 roll-out? Burnt up machines on the fly. What about those poacher hunters in Africa. All running some Windows laptops and used all their funding on download costs over expensive satellite links and in the meantime lost track of the poachers.

Still, they are matched by aircraft software engineers who think Miss = young girl, ie less heavy than a Mrs or Ms and then the crew wonder whiy the dialled in take off power is a bit low.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It's God's punishment for using Windows. And see my sig below.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have set mine only to install updates at power down. And it's unlikely an office machine is needed 24/7.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

recent ones

I dont use windows but end up having to fix it for other people

Reply to
Mark

You can delay ingestion of patches, using the Advanced Options in Windows Update, on Windows 10. This allows the more-eager users to test the patches for you, Microsoft to pull them and re-release them, before the next Patch Tuesday shows up.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Indeed I already do. The wushowhide utility is another tool to stop selective updates until ready. Depending on the update I might like to ensure I've got a partition backup ready, using Clonezilla.

Reply to
AnthonyL