Sharing photos from lighting experiment

and then feeding up from the switch box behind the wall.

What's with eaves and top plates? Everything is under them.

As of today, it is. Makes things easier! : )

You'll use EMT between the

Why not EMT here too (given that it's a higher standard, I probably would have to buy at least $20 worth of FMT, and would have to learn to connect it)?

That would be nice.

It's nice to finally find out I'm going to be painting the EMT. Sheesh! :) It seems like the correct type of paint will be important. I can see that there are some safety issues involved. Thank you for mentioning this. I would Not have painted it.... We won't worry about the stuff running behind the wall from the switchbox to the ceiling (or we paint it before installing it)?

you! Bill

Reply to
Bill

What else is new?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone agonize over the most trivial building/electrical issues. :)

_ANY_ borg will have a display of books covering, in detail, every conceivable issue you bring up.

You could buy a book, read, comprehend, and execute, and be done with much quicker that typing a question and waiting on responses.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Yep. Have done that one before. And end up with a good reference book on the shelf to consult when other problems crop up in the future.

Heck, I have even gone to the Borg, looked up the pertinent info, bought my parts and went home and fixed the problem. Look for the books with LOTS of illustrations. Illustrations is a lost art. Those simple drawings do a much better job of communicating what you need to do than photos. Look for lots of color illustrations. Read carefully. Then, to quote a number of favorite teachers of mine, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!! Don't get creative, don't wing it, just follow the damn instructions. Particularly when doing electrical work.

End of rant.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It's not all about being "done".

Sometimes I even create threads to promote discussion of what I perceive are things of general interest (like hammers). Even on simple things, we do not have agreement (use of EMT or FMT for instance?).

Sometimes I even take photos or create SketchUp models to help make my posts more interesting (and it's good practice for me).

You were the one who suggested you don't want to read how to cut a dove-tail joint everyday. I'm playing right into your hand, no?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No, you're not ... a dovetail joint is not regulated by a code, nor is it generally dangerous in the wrong hands.

You miss the point ... a book on electrical installation, and particularly the DIY versions for reasons of liability, will have, more often than not, been written by an expert in the field, edited by same, and published with a fairly good guarantee of overall correctness.

Here you are mostly getting the noise of self-styled experts who have no more qualifications in the matter than you do.

Which would you rather build your future on?

That's not to say that you can't get good advice here (Doug Miller (who knows more about the various NEC's than any electrician I've ever paid for), Lew Hodges, Mike Marlowe, to name just a few), but just trying to read one of the threads attempting to answer your myriad of question, which always seem to beget more questions than answers, and it is apparent to an outside observer with a bit of knowledge on the subject, that the wheat gets lost in the chaff/noise.

You're obviously too close to the forest to see the trees, or even recognize a tree (analogy only) ... that's why I said what I said, and why Lee did also.

Reply to
Swingman

For someone who was so upset about the way I spelled THHN, that's a pretty long "run-on" sentence! : ) Actually, I thought about your message as I was replying to you before dinner, during dinner, and after dinner. I respect your thoughts, as I so those of others.

Then it occurred to me: I could just bend one piece of EMT to run from the switchbox, up the stud, and finish with a 90 degree bend coalescing with the ceiling, attaching one these C-type EMT connectors to the end. This eliminates the "middle" box in my earlier drawing.

too bad, huh? It somehow represents our collective wisdom.

BTW, there is a difference between reading and writing about playing with gunpower and actually doing so. I don't come here everyday because my life is so full of problems. Well, maybe that's not true, I'm not sure. Ha. It is true that I really enjoy problem solving in a group context.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Larry, yer OK in my book.. now, go stand on the -- yellow -- rubber line.

Reply to
Steve

OK, as long as you don't send me in for ReGrooving, duuuuude.

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques