Sharing photos from lighting experiment

I guess I haven't used enough of the good stuff to see any which give me a true single-coat coverage yet, darn it. I found Painter's Essentials brushes which are as good as Purdy but cost less than 1/2 the price. Unfortunately, I forgot where I bought them and can't find them locally any more. I love those things!

Yeah, I dip my brush in water and shake it out before painting with latex, too. I recently made a run to HD after seeing a paint roller and brush spinner for ten bucks. They stopped carrying those almost 4 years ago but they're still in the inventory. Grrrrrr!

Yeah, the better paints are almost a gel nowadays. I love it.

TSP equivalent?

Oh, sh*t. Poly in the house paint now? I'll bet that recoats nicely. NOT.

Fact. 1995

Look at the weird SW line:

--snip-- Sherwin-Williams Paints

The Paint Stores Segment, known as Sherwin-Williams Paints, was the first section of the company to be established, in 1866. These stores market and sell Sherwin-Williams branded architectural paints and coatings, industrial and marine products, and original equipment manufacturer product finishes and similar items. As of January 1, 2011 the Paint Stores segment operated 3,954 individual paint stores. The Consumer segment develops, manufactures, and distributes various paints, coatings, and related products to third party customers and the Paint Stores segment. Sherwin-Williams is the parent company of other brands such as Duron, M.A.B. Paints, Minwax, Krylon, Mautz Paint Co., Purdy, Bestt Liebco, Thompson's WaterSeal, H&C, Pratt & Lambert, Martin Senour, Dutch Boy, Easy Living, Weatherbeater, and on August

28, 2007 Sherwin Williams purchased Columbia Paint & Coatings. In 2007, the company introduced its first "Idea Center" in Shaker Heights, Ohio, in an effort to provide customers with an interior design environment as contrasted with its conventional paint stores

--snip--

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not even close, and no cigar. ;) I made that same mistake once and the lady (I use that term loosely) nearly had my jewels for it. =:0

Eggshell is definitely

Maybe in NC, but the rest of the world considers it a gloss level.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suppose there could be more light but I have plenty and the effort was not worth my while.

Reply to
Leon

On 8/4/2011 2:55 PM, Larry Jaques wrote: > On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 06:47:18 -0500, Leon > wrote >>

I have several Purdy but have been switching over to Wooster brushes, Lowe's caries them along with most better hardware and paint stores. Considerably less expensive and just as good IMHO. Wooster also makes those better quality foam brushes that I am always mentioning when applying general finishes Arm-R-Seal.

Actually Gliddin way back when,,1972 had a gel type paint. A friend that ran a Glidden store open up a can, scooped some paint out with a putty knife, sliced it up and put it on a plate with crackers. He had to keep a close eye on anyone wanting to sample the paint and crackers. I have never seen a paint since that was that thick.

Reply to
Leon

I love Wooster's little ShortCut brushes. I tend to choke up on the handle anyway.

I'll bet he missed a couple and they got a real lesson in taste!

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--------------------------------- The folks who work at "The Brush" in my old home town certainly appreciate your support.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Paint brushes have a handle? :~) My fingers are generally in touch with the ferrel?

Where do you think the "acquired" taste for (______) cheese came from.

Reply to
Leon

Which brand brush Lew, and they certainly deserve my support, both brands are the top IMHO.

Reply to
Leon

--------------------------------------- The Wooster Brush Company, Wooster, Ohio.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ahhh glad that is the one I look for first.

Oddly I have not seen that cancer warning label on them yet. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Larry, I couldn't find the exact message, but you commented a while back that I had a lot of fixtures corresponding to one of my switches. That stuck in my head and I thought I would let you know that I decided to proceed with this 3 switch model:

1 2 | 2

3 3 3

1 2 2

3 | 3

That way (1) , (1 and 2) , (3), and (1 and 2 and 3) make sense. It looks alot like Lew's model from months ago, no?

Ironicly, I actually formulated it by candlelight following a recent lightning strike while I had no electricity, cable, phone, or Internet. There was nothing to do...

I will have to go to one of those fancy electrical suppliers to find an external ("weatherproof type") 3-gang swithbox. The Borgs only have the 1 and 2 gang varieties.

I still remember what you said: "pure white". I think I'm going to go with egg shell. I prepped an old wall having a lot of old holes yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to prime everything soon. Will cleaning the "stipple" on the ceiling with a broom be enough prep for it? I washed the other old surfaces with soap and water.

Except for some "throwaway" brushes I inherited, I don't have any painting supplies at all. Hopefully I'll be able to locate a 6 foot handle (I don't want to pay dearly for a telescoping one since I really don't need it)? I just need to reach over the deer crap in the middle of the floor to paint the ceiling...lol. Silly question: Is one coat of primer (Zinsser, "FastPrime 2, Primer and Sealer") all that is typically applied? I never primed a wall before; I need to get out more.

Things are progessing a bit slower than I would have liked, as I took a few weeks off when the heat and humidity became "oppressive". Conditions are much better now. Even the grass is growing slow. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

How many of those are over the area of the garage door? Being able to turn those off if you had the door open would be an idea.

I often go out to the shop (like last week, adding shorter belt holes) and just use the bench/vise for a minute, so lighting just the row over the bench is another possibile config. I guess your 1 is kinda sorta like that, but more of a general, softer full-shop lighting. The original | lights are on 1, oui? 3's kinda weird, but I guess it fills in the holes. Why no flexible conduit for a movable light under the attic access hole, hmm?

So you a**led it out, eh? Good for you.

Why not leave the original as-is?

Bueno, bwana.

If you reeeeally want to keep (a truly -bad- idea) the popcorn, you'll have to use a special paint on it. Talk to the paint store nerd.

You'll want to roll the shop, and throwaway brushes can handle cutting in. Important note: cut-in and paint 8' wide areas so the cutins don't dry or they'll show. I finally learned that trick, decades late.

Yes you do, but you just don't realize it yet. I found one on a squeegee, then got a better one at a garage sale for $3. Now that I've used them for 9 years, I'd spend $30 on a new one if I needed it. I put all sorts of things on the end: brushes, rollers, brooms, squeegees, roof rakes. My 6-footer is the most used. I can roll to

11' high with it, without a ladder.

I dare not ask.

Yes, one coat usually does it. It seals the drywall so it doesn't suck the gloss out of the paint and it takes less paint. Interior primer is $40-50 for 5gal buckets, and the cheap stuff works fine for your new (or non-stained old) drywall, if you haven't already bought the Zinsser.

Early mornings and late nights solve that problem, especially since you can now sleep in if you're up late. I'm up at 4am most mornings, and 95% awake before my little toes hit the carpet, so early mornings are when I get a lot of work done. Anything inside and quiet work outside.

Mine isn't until I water it. That's why I want to get rid of it.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

By the way, the two existing lights (marked '|') are on a separate branch circuit from the main panel. Their switch is conveniently located next to the door in the kitchen. That those 2 lights are powered from the main panel, rather than the shop subpanel, makes for a safer operation, I think.

4, the third "column".

Being able to

Yes, that would be nice. Just another switch and some more wire I suppose. Perhaps I'll save that for a future enhancement? I'm in the small group for whom it would Not have occurred to install lights over the garage door in the first place! ; ) Last summer, I was planning for 4 new fixtures and somehow that number ballooned to 11, and the single switch box I had installed became totally inadequate!

Today I picked up a Red Dot brand 3-gang external switch box (for "wet locations") from Kirby-Risk. If you add together the prices of the

1-gang and 2-gang models at the BORGs, and multiply the result by 3, the result is just about what I paid. Of course, the price rose 40% after I told him how many I wanted. At least I finally visited a Kirby-Risk store..in fact, I visited 2 of them. Before going to Kirby-Risk, I visited an electrical supplier that went out of business and another one that didn't actually sell electrical supplies. So yes, it was a full half-day event, but if I didn't push myself a little I wouldn't have things to write about. ; )

To install the switch box, are you just supposed to drill some holes through the back? I have a more intersting question regarding it's installation which I'll put in new thread.

Why no flexible conduit for a movable light under

You're flirting with code violations there, buddy! I think the minor one is that (I think) flexible conduit needs to be secured every 4 feet! I do have a shop-light resting just inside the access hole. I could maybe hang it from the rafters? ;)

Only 1 switch? Hmmm.. you mean use 2 boxes? Saving money is the only rationale I can think of for that. Remember, I'm after (like Hemmingway), "A Clean, Well-lighted Place". Neatness counts! : )

He steered me towards the primer I mentioned (for everything). He (salesguy at Menards) was suggesting DutchBoy paint for everything. White!

I have found cutting in about 4 inches to be adequate. I already learned the lesson on not getting too far ahead of yourself on the cutting-in. I did a lot of painting for 2 summers when I was 19-20. All of my old supplies are long gone but I mostly remember how to do it though I feel like I've lost the rhythm. I had my "system" down pretty well, but I never painted new work or stipple.

Working at night suits me fine, but I don't have a good place to clean up (drywall mud, etc.) in the dark. Getting up dang-early sounds like a good way to go. It integrates better for getting other things done too.

Grass is a time burner fo' sho'. Weeds may even be worse. I picked 6 hours worth of old ones along the curb this week. Roots were up to 8+ inches. On the 2nd day I started using a pair of pliers along with the standard week tool (which I recommend).

Thanks for your help! Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, if you don't lose all power. Hang flashlights on some of the tools and over the bench. These are inexpensive (2 for $3, or often free with HF coupons from magazines. They store well/light well, and have a handy hang strap.)

> How many of those are over the area of the garage door?

Bueno.

Oy, vay! Well, at least you have one. Why waterproof? Because you wanted surface-mount?

(rub, rub)

There ya go!

2 boxes. Original switch where it is, add for the other circuits. Logic vs ARmingway.

No, I meant for you to ask a real painter at a real store, sir. Latex primer on popcorn will accomplish the same stripping effect I suggested, but not quite what you expected. That could be fun, tho. Have the wifey take movies of your encounter. It'll be a hit on YouTube, fer sher. (I really shouldn't have said anything, and simply let you just have that fine experience, but we're buds... ;)

It comes back to you like riding a bike. Muscle memory.

Other than _having_ to prime, it's not much different. Popcorn, OTOH, is a whole 'nother bag of shit. Evil stuff just waiting to fark ya. You obviously have no idea the evil you're dealing with, but you will. Within 6" of the first roller touching it.

I'd rent an airless and spray the whole thing (-after- depopcorning.) Go primer @ 7am, paint @ noon, take the afternoon off, then put up the bats and fixtures the next morning.

-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, I was going to go behind the scenes with flexible metal conduit, but Doug Miller talked me into surface-mount.

They seem to have a nice assortment of covers. Thanks. Why all the rubbing? You got dust in your eyes? ;)

"A Clean, Well-lighted Place" should not feature unnecessary distractions. It may also be good for business if I exhibit a good sense of styylle. lol.. : ) I don't think I want people to feel like they are standing in the Sanford Arms (an archaic tv reference).

Hmmm... Thank you for the heads up. It's not really "popcorn", it's flatter, but I assume your comment still applies. I clearly need to investigate this further. From your comments, it sounds like the stuff is going to roll right off the ceiling while I try to paint it. Correct?

Oh Boy....

Why *spray* the ceiling instead of rolling it? That would seem to create more work covering stuff. I think I can reach everything with the

5' handles I have (I found one handle attached to a brush I use for cleaning the deck and another one on a sidewalk sweeper).

I need to take time out to grumble some about the popcorn...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Your loss.

No, just rubbing in the low, low prices. Neever mind.

It's highly likely.

Not if you're going to paint the floor. (recommended)

2/3 of those inexpensive 10x25' rolls of plastic would do it.

Spraying is considerably quicker and a whole lot less work.

Good idea. Take a quart sprayer with water in it up to the ceiling and test an area you'll cover with a fixture.

This is the stuff, right?
Quick removal.

-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, I put a fresh picture on my web site:

apologize that it's 5 MB, but this jpg accurately reveals the hidden beauty of the stuff.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Redd Foxx often referred to the "Sanford Arms" in describing his estate on his tv show.

I just happen to have most of a 8'x100' roll I used to cover my DP and BS. It's 3mil thick. I observed that it's more slippery to walk on than the really cheap painters plastic (which is more like the plastic bags used in retail).

Painting the floor sounds alot like planting grass seed.

If I had a sprayer ready to go it might be more work. We're only talking about 500 square feet. The prep. sounds much more time consuming. I will wait until you examine the picture I posted for you on my web site (see other message).

Reply to
Bill

Beauty? Eye of the beholder, I guess.

don't call that stipple, and have never heard that term used outside of the art world. It's a drawing and painting technique.

I'd call your ceiling textured (drywall compound put on wet and the trowel pulled straight off?) but it's unlike any I've seen before. I think you'll be safe to paint it (good primer, then regular paint), but I'd wet or paint a small section to see if it separated from the roof before doing the full paint job. Use a 3/4" or deeper nap on the roller for filling those voids. Lambswool is great for the deeper textures. You'll likely lose some of the longer stalactites, so have a brush comb ready to clean them out of the roller. I still think spraying is the way to go for that size room, old sport, especially if you value your time at all. (No cutting-in!)

Carry on! (Or carrion, if you fall off the ladder. ;)

-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I watched a handful of his shows, so I'm surprised I missed that one.

Painting or touchup once or twice a year is a whole lot less maintenance than mowing weekly, fertilizing, sprinkler systems, mower service, mower purchase, gas, oil, etc. A whole lot less. And once you've worked on a painted floor, you'll never go back. If you drop only one precious spring or screw in that time, you'll thank your lucky stars. Dust cleanup is easier, too. And think of all the

-cushioning- all those mils of paint give your feet!

A paint stick cuts half your time in painting over a brush or roller and pan. A sprayer cuts a paint stick's time in half, including rental time. Since you'll spray primer and then paint on all 5 surfaces

500sf + 4x250sf = 1,500sf) and you can do it without a ladder...

It appears that you don't have popcorn after all. Rejoice!