SEMI OT - VW now has a truck

Page 2 of 2
Tom Veatch writes:

Oh, yeah. Some years ago, our car had a problem. One of the guys at the church my wife attends told her it was the shaft on the fan creating the problem. I blew my stack, took her out and showed her that on that car, the fan had NO shaft, it was electric and driven by a thermostat so couldn't have caused that problem. She still told the mechanic who got to do the work that it was the f***ing fan!
I can't even recall the damned problem now, but I sure recall my irritation at that. It was the first of many.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

"No man is a prophet in his own country." (French proverb)
I get the same treatment from my wife.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:24:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Actually, this was quoted from the public safety film "Room to Live". The guy in the film is a trooper who personally makes the statement in the film.
In "Room to Live II", an updated version, he admits that he did ONCE unbuckle a dead person. They had been hit from behind by an umbrella that was on the rear dashboard. He then segues into a segment about loose articles in the passenger compartment.
We used to have to watch these films yearly in corporate safety meetings. <G>
Barry

And probably the deadliest loose article for a belted passenger is an unbelted passenger. If I'm the driver, all my passengers buckle up or walk. It's not for their safety, it's for mine.

... snip

... agree with you 100% The older I get, the more the PSA's on radio and/or TV just really get under my skin. AZ's anti-smoking ads almost make me want to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes just because the ads are so stupid and annoying.

Mark & Juanita responds:

Not quite that bad--it was too damned hard for me to quit smoking--but the no talent kids who c-rap about not smoking, the stupid grin in close-up of one creepy looking girl in another...talent free and irritating in general.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 2:45am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark&Juanita) says: ... agree with you 100% The older I get, the more the PSA's on radio and/or TV just really get under my skin. AZ's anti-smoking ads almost make me want to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes just because the ads are so stupid and annoying.
Can't agree on the cigarettes part, never want to start that again. But for the rest, makes me just want to slap a few of them, and tell them not to be so stupid. It's like they asked a batch of 8 YOs what would make people stop smoking, then filmed it. And, it isn't just the smoking ads, its skin cancer, car ads, in short amost every ad there is.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown

The ones without seatbelts, in rollovers, are often "partially ejected" (EMT-speak for "the head was out when the car rolled on it"), which is a particularly not-good place to have your head at that time.

A high school acquaintance was killed when the ex-State Police Crown Vic Interceptor he crashed in "threw him clear", then landed on him. They didn't find the body until the wrecker pulled the car out of the woods. The on-scene folks didn't know there were three people in the car. All EMS and fire folks had already left the scene, the wrecker driver got to find the body.
The other two occupants of the car were found wedged, ground beef style, under the dashboard and steering column. Nobody had a seat belt on. The passenger compartment was relatively intact. They probably would have still been badly injured, but very possibly alive.
Barry
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in message

Me too. SWMBO and I drove through Sparwood (tiny town in British Columbia, Canuckistan, Paddy) once and I got to stand beneath that sucker. Screw those little Hummers, I want to drive that baby in Austin rush hour traffic.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Go ahead ... try to cut me off.
On 20 Apr 2004 05:11:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I'd much rather have a Mog. It can be driven on the street. http://www.unimog.net/ The green flatbed'll do, but I'd hate to see what a windshield costs...
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 10:50am (EDT-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (LarryJaques) mutters: I'd much rather have a Mog. It can be driven on the street. <snip> Well, Hell, if you're gonna wimp out with something street legal, might's well get something decent. http://www.ferretscoutcar.info /
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 11:07am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (CharlieSelf) says: <snip> and other crap and non-crap. <snip> One of the real brainiacs writing commericals, for me, is the one that wrote the ad for sleeping pills. They list the side-effects - one of which is, drowsiness.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
JOAT responds:

Yes, well, think of this: the odds are excellent that moron is making 150K a year or more.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Hey now, verrrrrry funny. Haven't checked recently, but I believe that they are still making PUs in South Africa.
www.vw.co.za
If the chatter among dubsters is accurate. It is the plant that was located in New Jersey, which was shipped to Yugoslavia and then moved to SA when all the war stuff started back when.
On one list, a wife of a brit soldier claimed that her husband was allowed to purchase one and have the tax waived and that the cost was around 4,000 dollars for a new one. I want two.
Come to think of it, they had a Fox version of a PU somewhere in South America. A country that speaks Portugese... Brazil?
p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net says...

the Golf 1 (1600 or 1800 cc). Economical and load space is I think a bit smaller than the average SWB. Popular though. BTW SA exports VW vehicles to UK and the rest of Europe and also exports BMW and Mercs to numerous countries. So what's so funny?
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

I had one. I wish I had another. What's the rough price of one?
So what's the translation of 'bakkie'?

The thread started with an edited picture of a new beetle.
p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net says...

Bakkie is diminutive so small container. Common name for anything with an open load area.

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions