Secretary's Desk with vertical writing surface?

I want to build a secretary's desk to look like the chest of drawers in my daughtor's room. Basically, the chest has 5 drawers; on the desk I will have a fold down writing surface in place of the top two drawers.
All the Secretary's desks I have seen fold back about 30 degrees past vertical. Is that just tradition, or is there a compelling reason for it? Obviously it will stay closed better that way than vertical, but a simple catch should be adequate for that.
Oh, if you know of any on-line plans for Secretary's desk I would appreciate the link. I have found two, but they are not particularly close to what I am try to do.
Thanks.
Sat, Feb 21, 2004, 6:54pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Toller) says: I want to build <snip> All the Secretary's desks I have seen fold back about 30 degrees past vertical. <snip> Oh, if you know of any on-line plans for Secretary's desk I would appreciate the link. I have found two, but they are not particularly close to what I am try to do.
I would think they were made that way, because they do stay closed, with no fuss, no catch. A good answer to a problem.
I've seen some made similar to what you want. They weren't called secretary's desks tho, maybe because they didn't look like the traditional ones. Personally, I liked their looks, but I wouldn't put fake drawers on one.
Should be simple enough to make up your own plans. I doubt seriously you're going to find plans for just what you want. Remember, real woodworkers don' need no steenkin' plans.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
I would opine that it is tradition and you can build one anyway that gives you the warm and fuzzies.
However, in most cases, you will find that tradition in furniture is based on practicality and looks that were found pleasing to the eye IE golden rectangle etc,
If I were to really stretch for a practical reason I could say that putting the fold down past the vertical gives you a slightly larger writing surface. If I were to give a reason based on esthetics I'd say, in my opinion only of course, the past vertical fold down is more pleasing to the eye and has a more finished look then the boxy look of a vertical fold down. Not to mention not requiring a latch to spoil the lines.
But, again, your the artist and only have to please yourself. Well, maybe yourself and your daughter.
Good luck.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

the traditional angle would not have left enough room for my computer monitor. It doesn't look as good, but it serves its purpose. At least it doesn't look as good on paper, I haven't finished it yet :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Try this. Will get you started http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/pnc/secretary/index.html
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:21:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com brought forth from the murky depths:

D'you suppose that DHS has picked him up for producing a bombe yet?
----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design ================================================
    Let me know if you still need help with your desk design.
    All our low-stress computer designs are now Free!
    Thanks,
    Tom Riley snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
    Woodware Designs     http://www.charm.net/~jriley/woodware.html
Check out our new Book: