Writing desk table covering?.

Does anyone know what that covering is called thats on a writing desk?. Its a sort of hard "ish" felt usually Green in colour. Got a very nice desk but some idiot has been using it to cut things on with a knife so needs recovering.

I think a similar thing is called Baize but i think thats for Billiard tables etc but this one is suitable for writing on without the need to have something to press on under the writing paper as it were?.

Cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer

Maybe not much help, but the ones I know have a leather surface. Baize does not seem to be the right material for writing on, it's not smooth enough.

Try Searching, there are lots of references.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

I tend to agree with Davey. Writing desks with an inset usually use leather, or perhaps 'leatherette' today. Just done a Google images search for writing desks, and cannot see anything that looks vaguely baize or felt, but that does not help Tony.

Reply to
News

More for card tables than writing tables, but there is 'felt fablon'

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1

This is the writing desk Mum would like to find a new home for that has leather on all 3 surfaces:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'd say it's almost certainly leather. You need something fairly firm to write on - some give, but not too much.

You can probably find some of the right colour on Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps the OP could use the flip (unmarked) side of a dressmaker's rotary-cutting mat. They're generally green, although I've seen other colours, they're smooth enough to use as a writing surface, and quite sturdy.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Have a look see.

I.M.E the leather used is very thin so a modern alternative might be too thick

Reply to
fred

The thin self adhesive stuff I used for these drawers:

would probably do the trick as long as whatever you stick it to is fairly flat.

I got it on ebay.

Reply to
John Rumm