Help with desk!

This isn't exactly a home repair but I figured someone here could help. I purchased one of these desks back in Aug.

The specific desk I have is not pictured but to give you an idea, the problem I am having is with the pullouts. There are two. One is the keyboard tray. The second is the little mouse pullout at the side of that tray.

My desk has exactly the same setup shown although the desk top is a little different and it is bigger. I love the desk itself but... Clearly having pullout problems.

To assemble, you merely snap the desk pieces together. As in the sides and the top. You then turn it upside down and line up the metal pieces that come pre-assembled on the keyboard pullout with the depressions on the underside of the desk top. You then take two plastic pieces, snap them in place and slide them over. Easy peasy!

The instructions did say that I might need to tighten the screws that were put in at the factory. The screws are on the metal pieces of the pullout. But... In tightening them, I have discovered that they prevent the pullout from pulling out. I had to loosen them in order to slide it out because they were hitting on something. Hard to explain because I can't see well down there. But then over time, they will loosen too much and the pullout will fall in my lap! I think I have solved this by putting the piece back on, keeping the screws loose enough to pull it out, then tightening but... Based on past experiences with other pullouts, this could well happen again.

Next problem? The snap on plastic pieces that hold the pullout on have fallen off twice. I think this happens when I accidentally bump the pullout from underneath with my knees. Easy to put back on when the desk is upside down. Not so easy to do when you are working blind, underneath the desk and trying to hold the pullout in place. I think I have solved this problem by duct taping the pieces in place and by trying to be more careful.

Now the BIG problem! The little pullout for the mouse pad. I will try to explain how it works. It came preassembled so even if I were able to get replacement pieces, I don't think I could put them on by myself.

At the right side of the pullout are two white plastic tracks, underneath. They are made of thin, cheap, brittle plastic. They are shaped sort of like the letter O except that it is much skinnier. Picture taking the O and pushing the top and bottoms towards each other so that you have a long, thin track with a straight top and bottom and curved sides.

The little pullout has tabs that fit into this track and it can slide back and forth. Technically you could slide it underneath the pullout if you did not need it. But I always left it out because I always use it. Until... The track broke!

What happened was that because the plastic is brittle, the top portion of the front track, cracked all the way through right at the inside of where it curves. I thought about this for a while. I cut off the thick top off of a zip top bag, tied it around this broken top and tied it tightly to shore it up. This after several failed Super Glue repairs. Then to make sure that it stayed, I put duct tape on top.

Great for a few weeks! But then? The piece cracked again. This time about a 1" chunk fell off of the top. There was no way to tie it back together again because all that is left at the top is somehow attached to the bottom of the pullout. There is nothing to wrap anything around.

So... I took the trusty duct tape and cut some shortish pieces, sticking it to the underside of the mouse pullout and up around the broken piece to the underside of the keyboard pullout.

The problem with this? Nothing is smooth or flat underneath. Especially the little mouse pullout. Hard to describe but it is like there are ridges of plastic under there. So I did the best that I could but after a week or even a few days, the tape falls off and I have to start all over again.

I did notify the company. They told me they are no longer making any desks with pullouts and they did not keep any parts. If they could send me a whole new pullout, this would solve the problem, at least for now but... Clearly a poor design and no doubt it would only be a matter of time before the new one breaks.

I don't want to scrap the desk. It wasn't cheap and it is a sturdy desk and the perfect size for me.

So... Any clues how I can repair this little mouse pad? Pretty sure it is falling off because of the weight of my hand on it while using the mouse. I am trying to be careful and not apply much pressure but as I'm sure you know, this isn't always easy to do. The good thing is that that this part of the desk is the exact color of your standard silver/gray duct tape. But I need a more permanent fix. Thanks!

Reply to
Julie Bove

You got it wrong. It was not an "inexpensive" desk, but it definitely was a "cheap" desk

Reply to
clare

Next time build it out of pine and plywood. Almost every piece of furniture in my house is from this and it never does me wrong.

I'm sorry I can't help, it sounds like a nightmare desk. I don't think it's your fault though, the picture looks like a desk for a kid and probably not built to withstand use.

Reply to
Adam Kubias

The desk part is fine. It's the design of the pullout and the crappy materials they used on that part.

Reply to
Julie Bove

You can buy a complete replacement keyboard tray - complete with the mouse-board from any good office supply. Don't be surprized if a GOOD one costs as much or more than the desk. 3M makes a decent one - The AKT100 is $316.45 in Canada - and the AKT151LE is "only" $286.40

You can buy cheaper ones - like the Fellowes FEL9140301from WallMart for $53, or their FEL8031301 for $170, or the 8035901 for about $290.

With the "cheap" ones you will be right back where you started but a few dollars poorer

Reply to
clare

They are designed for use in medical facilities, military, zoos, other places where chemicals and spills might happen. The materials they are made of are supposedly impervious to such things.

I was attracted to the snap together design. I am pretty good at assembling things but when it comes to computer desks, I always seem to struggle with something. Usually the pullout and wouldn't you know, the pullout is causing the problem here.

As I said... My desk is bigger and has a different top. The top has a raised lip to it. I do love that. Much less chance of my pens, lip balm, nail polish, etc. will roll off. Heh.

And they do claim them to be sturdy. Which I think the desk part is. No issues there whatever. But big pullout issues. I also think it is odd that they say they are no longer using this design and yet it is still shown on their website.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Pretty sure those would not attach to this desk though. Aren't they for wooden desks?

Reply to
Julie Bove

Have you gone back to whereever you bought the desk and told them of your problems?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Ha! Mail order. I did call them initially when I thought some parts were missing. Now due to a comedy of errors, I have two extra sets of those parts. They weren't missing. They were sitting on my old computer desk. No clue how they got there as I don't remember doing that at all and they were sitting very visibly on top for a good three weeks until I found them there. Store eventually did help me but only after I contacted the company myself. Initially they wanted me to box it up and ship it back via UPS. I was not willing to do that. And I doubt they would or could do anything now as it has been 5-6 months. They can't fix it and if they could do anything at all, it would be to replace it with another. And it would be no better.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I'd ask a the hardware store, maybe you can find a handyman who is near to you, and can work on this kind of thing. Sounds like the group's collective wisdom is letting you down.

Might check with the shop teachers at the local high school. Perhaps one of the shop nerds can help?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Julie,

Didn't read your whole post, it's too long. Here's your first problem. When you tighten some screws firmly they block part of thj mechanism. Everything works ok when the screws are slightly slack but they then work loose. Ok, the screws area little too long. Take out the screw and head to the hardware store. Buy a shorter screw. Now find some washers that fit your screw. Now head home. Try the shorter screws. Fixed? If not take the old screws and put a washer or two on them and try them. Fixed? If not we head back to the store and buy Loctite thread cement. Get the Blue one, it's medium strength. Use the glue on the threads and reassemble. When the glue dries it should prevent the screws from slackening. So, what's the next problem?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Wooden compressed sawdust, steel - no matter. Might require a bit of McGuyvering on that particular desk, but I'd make it work in short order if I didn't have the option of replacing the desk with something half decent.

Reply to
clare

Likely bought online - cheaper than buying from a "real " store ----. Yup - but no support. There's a "gotcha" every time.

Reply to
clare

Thanks! Only handymen I know of charge $250 minimum and I don't think our high school has a shop. Guess I'll keep taping it.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Thanks! But that's one problem I think I have fixed. Next problem is the broken mouse pullout but I'm not going to type it all out again.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Not cheaper. I just didn't want a wooden desk. I had my eye on this one for a long time. And yes, bought online because I couldn't find it anywhere else and I wanted it delivered.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Julie,

If it's not worth your time then it's not worth mine.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

As I understood it, the mouse tray is no good. Can you put a wider tray on the keyboard tray?

Maybe construction adhesive would work better than duct tape.

Reply to
Dan Espen

But, but, but... wood.

Reply to