Say what??

Page 1 of 2

http://e-woodshop.net/images/Saywhat.jpg
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05
Is the bottle or the instruction sheet made in Taiwan? No, no, no, I get it. The bottle is made in taiwan, but the instructions are contracted out to someone who understands english even less.....
jc

Could you do better in Chinese?
I once spent 5 minutes trying to find out, in Japanese, when a notecard (inviting me out to dinner the following evening) had arrived. He seemed confused as to why I wanted to send it. Then I realized that I was saying go (iki) rather than come (ki). Really foreign languages are difficult.
As opposed to "not so really foreign languages"? Hee-heee! I refuse to use emoticons. Tom

That is correct. All the European languages are pretty much the same; they are "not so really foreign". Spanish and German may share little vocabulary and there are big differences in grammar; but the basic concepts are the same.
Asian languages are completely different. If you have never learned one you can't appreciate just how different.
They will sell exactly the same number of glue bottles whether the instructions are gibberish or not; why pay a translator when they can get it done by an incompetent for free? That is one reason they sell so many!
Incidentally, "Chinese" normally means Mandarin. There are dozens of dialects, some of which are as different as German is to Spanish; but they are usually referred to as Cantonese or Taiwanese, not as Chinese.

You never fail to disappoint me, Toller.
Toller wrote:

Nope. But if I was shipping a gajillion widgets to China I'd hire someone who could.
Chris
Toller wrote:

Irrelevant. I'm not selling anything in China. They are selling in English speaking countries, probably produces the bulk of their import income. Is it worth $50 or $75 to them to hire a writer who can reduce the label to something other than Chinglish gibberish? Obviously not, as none of them bother.
It's known as customer service and we bitch like crazy when a U.S. company dumps bad CS on us.
Which Chinese dialect, by the way. I understand there are at least 300.
"Toller" wrote in message

If I was selling products there I'd show a bit of respect and hire someone who could.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Did you buy the product? Would you have paid more for better English? Then why should they bother?

To increase sales. I am sure that there are many people that have less common sense than many on this news group that would pay extra for instructions correctly written in English. A customer paying extra for another brand product would mean a loss for this company and an extra sale for the competition. Correctly written instructions are a very small price to pay considering the potential increase in sales.
I did by the product. Even if the instruction sheet was well done, it wouldn't have made the bottle any less the piece of crap it was.

someone
"Toller" wrote in message

someone
Only if I was concerned as a business with providing a good product and serving the customer well in the process ... old fashioned ideas that are obviously not only foreign to the Taiwanese.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

I am the owner of a tool. Importance is placed during the time of cleaning with care. Glue liquids will harden and require effort for removal on the wheel. When need for tool has expired clean completely with cleaning materials.
Was that any help? LOL
"Leon" wrote in message

cleaning
??a? ? ?d???t?t?? e??? e??a?e???. ? s?as?a d??eta? ?at? t? d????e?a t?? ?????? t?? ?a?a??s?? e t?? p??s???. ?????ste ta ???? ?a s????a??e? ?a? ?a apa?t?se? t?? p??sp??e?a ??a t?? afa??es? st? ??da. ?ta? ? a????? ??a t? e??a?e?? ???e? ?a?a??? e?te??? e ta ?a?a?????ta? ?????.
(IOW, it's all Greek to me) ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

cleaning
While the translation is poor in this example and in the original poster's image, they are both completly understandable.

Cool!
The message is perfectly clear...it says when gluing your children at a distance stay clear of the glue bottle. Swingman wrote:

but I'm not sure if that includes children in the shade or not...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

[instructions on a glue roller bottle written by someone for whom it is painfully obvious that English is a foreign language]
I think http://engrish.com/ would like to have a copy of that.