Timber de-humidifier

Years ago I came across plans for a home-made timber de-humidifying unit using a domestic refrigerator. I'd like to have a go at one now, perhaps using an ordinary household dehumidifier. Anyone got any comments, pointers, links, references. Thanks Dave

Reply to
David Busby

There is back issue of the American Woodworker, #94 - June 2002 that details such a device. I have not built it, but the article seems relevant to your query.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm from the UK so I'm not sure if I could get hold of a copy, though I've already emailed the back issue dept!

Dave

Reply to
David Busby

If you can't get it, let me know. I have the article.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Oh, and the article is "Air Dying Lumber : When done properly, super-frugal air-drying can produce perfect lumber : Pay Less for Wood! : Build this wood drying kiln around an inexpensive household dehumidifier."

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

It sounds exactly what I want. Getting decent timber (lumber) round here is a pain. I bought some premium grade Scandinavian softwood from a local yard, was assured it was 'dry', carefully stacked it for several weeks in a warm room before using it. Even so it shrunk and warped when I turned it into a cabinet and some internal doors. I've made quite a few windows and external doors but have always used tropical hardwoods, aformosia, iroko, etc -I wouldn't dare use softwood, though if it was properly seasoned it would be fine.

I will let you know if I can't get that article, thanks a lot.

Dave

Reply to
David Busby

There's plenty of excellent timber available in the UK, the problem is finding who sells it. There are two totally disconnected trades between "construction" timber and "cabinetry" timber. Trying to buy good timber from the construction trade suppliers is just about possible, but it's poor quality and expensive.

For some better price guides, look at my local guys

For your local equivalent, buy a copy of Furniture and Cabinet Making magazine and read the ads in the back.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:07:55 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, "David Busby" quickly quoth:

How about a solar kiln instead? Free plans here:

Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life. ----
Dynamic Database-Driven Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I said 'getting decent timber round here is a pain' I meant my locality (Herefordshire). I have been buying wood round here for over thirty years and I can assure you that nowadays there is no equivalent of interestingtimbers.co.uk (who I know about). It's all a matter of location. This is a good area for green and air dried English hardwood, but getting decent softwood is, as I've said, a pain. If I dry my own timber I take control of my raw material, without having to drag my trailer halfway across the country, and if I get my cutting list wrong, or change my mind, don't have to do it all over again.

Dave

Reply to
David Busby