FLUTING

Hello, All!

I am designing a fluting jig which I might use on uprights of doorframes. My design is innovative on paper and looks like it might work very well, yet I was wondering if anyone out there has already seen some sort of rig out there already. Please do not suggest corporate vendors such as Rockler or Woodcraft as their expensive stuff

is out of my league. I do not have thousands of dollars to spend.

In addition to the fluted uprights I want to make my own rosettes, moulding, fineals, etc. Is there a "Mother Earth" type site for woodworking? In additiom. is there a "perfect material" for trim? Would you suggest raw wood or prefab stuff?

I am in the planning stage and am realizing all of the avenues out there. Please pardon my ignorance.

In the interim, I will continue to design my jig. If you are interested, simply reply. I can send copies and you might have the opportunity to tell me where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Bobby

Bobby

If you're going to paint it, poplar is a pretty good way to go. Not too expensive, fairly stable, easy to machine, takes paint really well.

I'd be interested to see your jig design so far.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Even less expensive is MDF if it's going to be painted. A decent router table setup should be able to do flutes or a cheap table saw shaper thing-a-ma-jig with the appropriate knife set. I've done both and either worked out okay. That's assuming we thinking about the same kind of fluted molding. Good Luck

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Wed, Mar 1, 2006, 9:45am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Bobby) doth sayeth: Hello, All! =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I am designing Is there a "Mother Earth" type site for woodworking? I am in the planning stage and am realizing all of the avenues out there. Please pardon my ignorance.

It's been done before. I'd stay away from "MotherEarch" type of woodworking. Sounds like you haven't don't much searing, if any. Start googling. I've seen something along the lines of what you want. Google will reveal it, IF you use it.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

Sounds like you haven't don't much searing, if any. Start googling.

Gee, Sir! I never realized how inept I was at using search engines. I guess I have been fooling myself into thinking I was somewhat of an expert. I guess all of those years studying information literacy were just a waste. I would venture to guess, though, that even an ignoramus like me, and probably most of the folks who frequent this group, could easily find links like heart shaped 3-tier stand, porch railings & spindles, Murphy bed - pdf, log cabin playhouse, educational shapes puzzle, dinosaur, kayak rack, roof rack, toddler bed, trundle bed, etc. (the list goes on and on) on their own and would appreciate this newsgroup not being clobbered with the posts.

I've seen something along the lines of what you want. Fantastic! So where IS it?

It's been done before. No doubt!

Google will reveal it, IF you use it. Spell check works, too, IF you use it.

So now that we are finished poking each other in the eye about how to properly use the internet, why don't we get down to answering the question. Here is the design I have come up with so far. (Power Point file)

those who are genuinely interested, take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby

Fri, Mar 3, 2006, 4:43am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Bobby) doth sayeth: Gee, Sir! I never realized how inept I was at using search engines.

I would venture to guess, though, that even an ignoramus like me, and probably most of the folks who frequent this group, could easily find links

I went back to your original post, and it says nothing about you having already searched. Indeed, you're asking if there's ny "MotherEarth" typs of site out there. Next time, might say.

I can't view your link, wrong type of info for my system. I did find this link, which is probably along the same lines.

The search phrase was "fluting jig".

And yeah, anyone here could find the links I post. If they looked. If they used the right search words/phrases. Once I spent close to 6 months, on and off, searching for info about a specific project, for myself. Changed search words, search phrases, search engines - zip. Then ran across a really arcane word in one of my searches; viola, had all the info I wanted within the next 3 days. It goes that way at times.

Anyway, the links I post are side effects from searches I make, for myself, often from searches not even vagualy relatined to woodworking. I came across one of the better plans I ever posted while looking up info on angle iron. So, I pass the info along. Big deal. I don't search for plans for other people much, because I figure they'e big enough to do their own homework. But, I am willing to pass plans along. And, you're free to pass over them.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T

Hi, JT!

I converted the PPT to individual JPGs: