Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

Page 2 of 13

Yes, it will. But we don't know the numbers, and we won't until it's been field tested for years. There will be problems. Either they will fix the problems, or they are unfixable.
Can't we just say "I'm not personally convinced it's a good idea. I will wait until I see the numbers before deciding one way of the other."
Seems like this would eliminate a lot of the flames.
In typed:

First off, anyone that thinks that having a saw that will reduce an accident on a saw from one that requires anything from stiches, on up to amputations to a cut that is 1/32 in depth at a cost of no more than the cost of a new cartridge and a saw blade is a bad idea, is an absolute moron not capable of operating any power tool, IMHO. So no, I don't think the flames will stop.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

They won't stop because people like you take the attitude that anybody who disagrees with you is "an absolute moron not capable of operating any power tool". Which leads those who fall into that category to develop toward you an attitude of "Jo Mama".
--
--John
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:06:59 -0800, "ted harris"

ted harris, I think you are a moron. and a sheep. and a shill. maybe even a sock puppet.
so there. nyaah nyaah.
In typed:

So it's okay for the naysayers to debate the issue, but someone that disagrees whith what YOU believe is a moron, a shill, and maybe even a sock puppet. Can you say "hypocrite?" Good luck to you sir!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Uh Ted, he was just parroting your own words back at you; I quote:
"First off, anyone ... is an absolute moron ...".
scott

jelly
That happened to you TOO??

are
Nah, I have invented the "PurpleTitaniumRobotWithPeanutButterAndJellySandwichStop". It works great. As a side benefit, my weiner hasn't been cut off since I've had it. Currently I'm in negotiations to make it mandatory so that no one else will be traumatized again.
-j

No, I just paid the Hundred
......enjoy
In typed:

In my case it would be $70- for the cartridge, and $110- for the blade...and I would like to state emphatically "yes" that I would gladly pay that many times to keep my fingers and limbs intact. Is there really any other way to look at it? Maybe for someone that was so cheap that they can justify not spending the money to keep their digits and limbs there is a different answer...but I don't think so!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

The "right way" to look at it is statistically. There are X tablesaws being used in a given geographical area. There are Y tablesaw injuries in that same geographical area. Of those Y injuries, there are Z that would have been prevented by SawStop. Unless Z is a significant fraction of X, SS will likely not find much traction amongst the X tablesaw owners.
Isn't easier to just not put your fingers in the blade rather than add hardware to stop the blade when you do? A couple of home-made pushsticks accomplish the same goals as the Saw-Stop, and the SS can't prevent all tablesaw injuries (such as those caused by kickback) and may infact cause more because of operator complacency.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Yeah, that's my biggest concern with the SawStop. I think it's an interesting idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if, if we ever have a world where it's mandatory, the net number of injuries stays about constant, as people depend on the SS to save them instead of being really aware of what they're doing. The tablesaw is still a dangerous machine even if it won't cut off your finger.
-BAT

pushsticks
I keep reading that from people, but how many times have you heard anyone say that they drive more recklessly because they have an airbag in their car? Or even really had reason to believe they do? It isn't human nature to behave that way. Whenever I heard that argument the first thought that comes to my mind is that it's a hollow argument from someone who simply does not like an idea, but has not real argument against it. Sort of a red herring. People have a natural tendency to avoid things that will hurt them whether safety devices are in place or not. The problem comes in if they don't know about the things that can hurt them or if for some reason they believe themselves to be immune to the potential for injury. You know - like we all were when we had our first cars. Before our first accidents...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

does
them
accidents...
I don't think that safety devices do this, but "performance accessories" like a new set of big fat tires or a huge wing on the back DO encourage reckless driving. As long as tablesaws don't have spoilers or big fart pipes on the back I think we are all responsible enough not to work dangerously.
-j
In typed:

So that explains the 3,000 amputations every year caused by contact with the rotating cutter, huh?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

the
Yep! Blame that tool time guy.
-j

Well, clearly some three kilopeople annually are in fact not responsible enough not to work dangerously. It's somewhat less clear that any government-mandated safety device is a better means of preserving their digits than simple responsible safety practices.
In typed:

Are you implying that none of the 3000 + people that have amputations are not professional woodworkers? I know several carpenters and professional woodworkers that have had fingers disappear, or get serious enough cuts that require them not to work. Don't you?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

I've known several carpenters who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. Saw-stop wouldn't save them from their own stupidity. Next you'll be all gung-ho over a nail-stop device which attaches to a nail gun and prevents one from shooting oneself in the head.
scott

Beamed up? Abducted? Ransom demands? Argentinian death squads?