sawstop running

Page 2 of 4

Consider that the SawStop not only stops the blade, but also drops it below the table.
Doug Miller wrote: ...

But not until it has already hit <something>...that's not to say it may not minimize some degree of damage relative to not having it.
Doug Miller wrote:

Aha! Thanks. I don't remember seeing anyone mention that!
Must be a high powered charge to force 3" of blade out of the way while a hand was moving at 6 feet per second next to the table.
IMO SawStop really needs to work on their website, and they should do it before their backorder list is gone. The site should tell a lot more about the differences between their saws and competing ones. They could include links to magazine reviews and independent reviews such as this thread and the ones I mentioned. It would be cool if they put together and maintained an accurate and reasonable schedule for delivery of the saws, told you at the time of preorder about when to expect delivery, and followed up with an e-mail each month giving an update.
I suspect that what they're doing is letting matters take their natural course and avoiding overexpansion. They might want to build the number of saws that are out there slowly. Beta saws have been working in shops since April 2004 but what if some obscure operational or quality control issue comes up? Better to have to rework 100 saws than 1000.
My guess is that they will have to face serious expansion questions about when the thousandth saw ships. That will be mid-2005, and might roughly coincide with reduction of the backorder list to a reasonable length. By that time the Wood and AW articles will have printed, they should have ironed out any obscure issues, and production should be rolling. They will then have to make important marketing, distribution, and service decisions.
Here's the text from page 66 of FWW #174:
"I stuck a hot dog on the end of a stick and swung it into the moving blade as fast as I could. The result was a 1/16-in.ideep by 1/8"-in.-wide by 3/16"-in.-long cut. One of the students, a medical doctor, said that such a wound would require two or three stiches at most."
The blade not only stops - it also drops below the table top. Sounds like the blade got out of the way before, even stopped, it could cut the hot dog in two.
dwright wrote:

I'm a lot more concerned about a digit simply being in the wrong place along w/ the lumber being cut...I don't see how that would (or could) be detected.
I also read the FWW review article and don't recall the test of strapping the hotdog on a piece of oak and running the combination through the blade...
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:16:29 -0600, Duane Bozarth

What does the lumber have to do with it ?
GregP wrote:

If the saw won't cut lumber w/o a pinkie (or hot dog), it won't be of much use will it? :)
I'm simply questioning whether the detection capability is able to distinguish a piece of flesh in the way while there's still a continued normal cutting load and have seen no indication of a test to show it any any review...
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:30:36 -0600, Duane Bozarth

The detection has nothing to do with the load the saw is under. It is similar to what is used on the "touch lamps" and detects contact with a conductor. Because of that false triggers due to very green lumber (or wet pressure treated), metal in the wood or other possibly conductive things are a concern.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Hello,
Actually, it has nothing to do with conductivity (resistance), but with capacitance, ie the proportion of your boddy to load with static electricity.
regards, cyrille

But still doesn't answer the question of whether it can detect the condition of hand on board into the saw...which is the only case I've ever even come close to finding myself in. I've never had any concern of just putting my hand into the blade by itself...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

That's what it's intended to do. There's discussion of how it goes about this on the Sawstop site.
While there are a lot of concerns about its function and utility, being able to trigger under the circumstance you describe has not been one of them.
--
--John
In typed:

www.sawstop.com has all the video you will ever need to see...
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

I have insufficient bandwidth to use 'net that way...
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:30:36 -0600, Duane Bozarth

It doesn't detect flesh per se, it's looking for a change in electric potential. Have you ever been in a building that has a door with a crash bar that youhave to touch with your bare hand in order to release a magnet that holds the door closed ?
But does it work if you throw a sausage at it?

Duane Bozarth wrote:

That's the whole point of it. It uses electrical signatures--a finger has a different signature than a piece of wood and it can distinguish the two most of the time--it seems to be designed to err on the side of caution--it apparently will trigger with some species of wood if cut green for example because the signature is similar to a finger.

--
--John
Duane,
dwright wrote:

Well, that's fairly impressive if it actually works...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Doesn't have anything to do with "touching your blood stream". Touching the side of the blade will also trigger it I understand.

--
--John