Sawstop demo on TV

Saw this episode over the weekend. I have seen the SS videos on the web before so no big deal. The part I found amazing was the way Tommy placed his hands while demoing the saw. Seemed like he had a lot of confidence it would work as advertised.

Reply to
RayV

I wasn't going there at all.

And I don't wanna go the other place either. I like the gadget, I

*don't * like the method the inventor is trying to use to get the device in everyones saw.
Reply to
George Max

You're NOT going to have an expensive grizzly, your going to have a cabinet saw that is better than a Unisaw, a 66, a PM 2000, or any clone of said machine. I cannot speak to a Laguna, Hammer or similar as I haven't used any of them. The Sawstop is simply the best conventional cabinet saw on the market even if it doesn't stop.

With the #'s of SawStops already in institutional shops I think SOMEBODY will continue to sell the brakes even if SS went under. (Which i don't think they'll do) Mr. Gass has gotten a lot of criticism for his tactics, but personally heard his story and I'm convinced that his initial motivation was making a safer saw. Even if the competition buys them out (I can see this happening) I don't think they'll let it happen without continuing support for units already in the field.

If one needed to "hack" the thing, I would think you could simply wire the motor to a magnetic contactor which is connected to a low voltage starter switch, just like any "conventional" saw.

I wouldn't want to be the responsible party if somebody tangled with THAT tablesaw.

-Kevin

Reply to
MNFabLab

One of my local tool stores, Puckett Tools, has a SawStop on the floor. And I saw a flyer on the saw saying every month they gave demos of the brake causing the blade to stop. Of course they also had the prior welded together brakes/blades on top of the table to view. My metro area is about 400,000 so I would suspect similarly sized cities would have SawStops to see in person. Or make a trip to a big town near you or stop when going through one on a vacation. They are not difficult to find if you have an interest.

Reply to
russellseaton1